Saturday, October 07, 2006

Dispatches from Casa de Dah.

I'm at my mom's house. The Geej and I came up here for the weekend so that a) my mom could spend some quality time at her house that she's been at very rarely over the past 5 weeks of caring for my sick ass and b) so that I could still have some TLC due to my minor setback this week.

The flaming knives of pain? They're still present, but not as persistent. Instead of flare ups every 5 to 10 minutes, it's more like once or twice an hour. MUCH more tolerable. I think the serious "taking it easy" I've been doing over the past 48 hours and the hardcore drugs are to thank. I quit bending over, picking up anything heavier than a banana, and managed to lie around a LOT more than I'd been doing. I did get my PICC line out yesterday (as planned) which means that my 3-a-day IV antibiotics regimen is fini. YAY!! And I had that CT yesterday around lunchtime and never heard from my doctor afterward, so I guess there's no new abscess to contend with. DOUBLE YAY!!

Slowly but surely, life returns to normal. I cannot wait to be able to look back on this past month of shite and be like, "Remember how SICK I was?! And all the pain?! Well, THAT sucked. And yes, I'll have another martini, you darling cabana boy, you." Having all of this be a distant memory will be like a gift. I will tell you this, however: I will never, EVER take my health for granted again. I mean it. I'm a pretty damn healthy person. Don't smoke. Haven't eaten red meat in over 12 years. Not too fat. Drink in moderation. And yet STILL this seriously kicked my ass. I can't imagine how much worse and more lengthy it would've been if I hadn't been in good health to begin with. You've got to stay healthy in case something like this falls in your way. You've got to be ready to fight it. And it's not just for me anymore: The Geej needs me to be healthy. It's all been a very enlightening experience, I'll tell ya.

Also, I wanted to continue my "Enough already" theme from my previous post. Feel free to add to my list:

ENOUGH ALREADY...

...Mark Foley
...FOX "news"
...Paris Hilton
...Anna Nicole and that shyster lawyer Howard and all that paternity bullshit
...Iraq
...hot weather
...Carol Keeton Strayhorn and her "one tough grandma" shtick
...Kevin Federline
...my mom whining about not having a boyfriend
...potty training The Geej

2 comments:

Me said...

Hey KM,

As usual, been thinking about you and checking in, but not posting a comment. Hang in there. I *know* it's hard to sit still when needed... it's so easy to overdo. I hope you continue to feel better and better every day.

And regarding the potty training. This too, err, shall pass.

Someday, maybe, we'll look back on all of this shit and laugh. Or not. At the very least, maybe someday we can get together with Madame Texpatriate and have a well-deserved drink or two or three.

Millardman said...

How about adding "Mom beats boyfriend with 4-week old child" to the list...