Friday, May 30, 2008
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Saturday, May 24, 2008
I know I owe y'all a post about Las Vegas and Cher and whatnot, but I'm so flippin' hot and sweaty due to this damn humidity, I can barely think. So, in the meantime, please feast your eyes upon our sweet dawg, Shiloh, beating the heat by slurping up a frozen treat made just for dogs called "Frosty Paws."
Monday, May 19, 2008
Sunday, May 18, 2008
- Sorry I haven't posted since Wednesday.
- Pretty typical goings on around here, really.
- Except for the crazy storm on Wednesday night.
- But other people have posted about that.
- All in all, things are looking green and vibrant, which is nice because--at least thus far--we've gotten plenty of rain.
- BH and I have been on a planting/yard-improvement kick.
- Not only have we planted two different kinds of peppers, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary and orange-mint, we've also planted plumbago, hisbiscus, and created an entirely new flower bed in the front yard that we're planting with native decorative grasses and drought-resistant native flowering plants. Very exciting.
- We've also been working HARD to rid our weed-infested front yard of clover and stickers without using chemical weed-killers. But it's a labor-intensive, tedious process. And I SWEAR I've personally pulled 7,000 weeds (which is half of what BH has pulled), and it looks like we've barely made a dent.
- I got my third quarter bonus on Friday and I'm spending it on...GUTTERS!! For the back of the house!! How utterly domestic and boring!!
- I'm also going to spend some of it gambling, getting spa treatments, and eating great food in Vegas, because I'm going there with Dah on Tuesday.
- She hasn't been in 25 years, so I bought us 4th row tickets to see Cher at Ceasar's. It was her Mother's Day gift. Yes, I'm awesome.
- I need this break from work because it's just nucking futs right now.
- La Turista is going to help take care of the Geej while I'm gone, and The Geej is beside herself excited.
- I got some new contacts this week and OMFG, y'all. They're a completely new type than I've ever been able to wear (because of the level of my damn blindness), and they let in like 500% more air, so my eyes don't get dried out all the time. It has made the biggest difference.
- This is great timing too because my eyes always get so dried out when I'm in Las Vegas.
- That, and I'm thirsty like a fiend all the time.
- Damn desert.
- I've been on a big salad making kick, since the weather has turned so warm. This past week or so I've made a spinach/gorgonzola/walnut/pear salad, a couscous salad, and a white bean salad that is one of my favorites. I love making The Big Salad and then eating on it for a couple of days.
- Washed my car for the first time yesterday, then it got rained on. Of course.
- Also stuck my first bumper sticker on to her: "Don't Mess With Texas." I can't stand litterers, as you know.
- The Geej has grown 4 inches since this time last May. And her feet? Growing about a size a month.
- Speaking of The Geej, here she is enjoying the weather--and the sprinklers--today:
- She is a nut.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
Sunday, May 11, 2008
BH and I went up there (w/out The Geej...she was with Dah) so that we could attend a high school friend of our's mom's surprise 60th b-day party. It was out at this GORGEOUS piece of property just east of Dallas, and there were about 150 people there, a band, catered food (including, by far, the most heavenly fried shrimp I've ever eaten in my entire life), tons of balloons and decorations, and huge, blown up photos of the guest of honor from all through her life. You could tell that she'd had a helluva lot of fun in her life (thus far) and was well loved by her friends and family. I just kept thinking, "Damn, when I turn 60, I hope I'm this happy and I have this many friends to help me celebrate." It was pretty amazing.
Today we had breakfast at...wait for it...THE WAFFLE HOUSE in Mesquite. Just so you know, I had mine scattered, covered and smothered. We ate with the future brother and sister-in-law (who'd also been at the party the night before). First up, let me just say, I LOVE the BIL and SIL to be. They are fun as Hell, and have been happily married for 22 years. (They were Jr. High School sweethearts, and have been together ever since.) I pretty sure the reason they have such a happy marriage is because they really make each other laugh. You can tell how much they enjoy being around each other when you hang out with them. It's inspirational and completely sincere.
Today we took Hwy. 281 back to Austin so that we could pick up the Geej at Dah's house on the way home. I'd never been that way before, and once you got west/south of Cleburne, it was a GORGEOUS drive--hilly, and green, with TONS of wildflowers, especially Indian Blankets, straddling the road.
Do I have any photos to document this wonderful weekend? Why, no. I'm a dork and left my camera at home.
It was a good Mother's Day. When we got home, BH worked on our new flower bed, mowed the back yard and then (drumroll please) went to the grocery store to do the weekly shopping!! I swear, this was like a gift from the gods. I seem to spend every Sunday afternoon at the damn grocery store (Geej in tow, of course), and really, that's the LAST place I want to be since I work at a grocery store Monday thru Friday. So yeah. It was freakin' awesome.
Oh, and then we cooked out on the grill and had an awesome supper on this wonderful cool, spring evening.
Yes, life is good.
By the way: To all you mommies out there (you know who you are...most of you on on the blogroll there on the right) HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! You all rock, hardcore.
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Monday, May 05, 2008
A very self-satisfied little girl, her dirty babydoll, and a very patient dog.
Saturday, May 03, 2008
Thursday, May 01, 2008
But then we also insist on doing things like starting unfounded wars that may never end, deep frying Twinkies, creating baby beauty pageants and hanging faux nut sacks off of vehicles.
During my research, I have discovered there are two main culprits in the scrotal vehicle accessory market, trucknutz.com and yournutz.com. Clearly, they're both clever capitalist endeavors (as evidenced by the sassy use of the "z" instead of "s" in their company names/URLs). But they are, indeed, distinct entities. Trucknutz has a "Truck Nutz Girlz" section and a "Bad Assed Rides" section to their site, and they also sell "Biker Ballz." Intriguing. But Yournutz has a FAR larger selection of inventory, including this patriotic little number here--They're camo nutz with the poignant yellow ribbon that honors our brave service men and women risking their lives for American freedom...the same freedom that gives us the ability to purchase and display the very nutz that honor them.
And if nutz aren't your thing, they've also got Glad Hands (extra points for the Texas plates):
Beautifully designed light up LED pins with cheerful slogans:
And the undeniably unique "Messanutz" described on the site as "Slightly Irregular 2" plated Bronze keychain Nutz":
But don't you think it would be a far better world if trucknutz and yournutz would join testicular forces and merge into one nutz selling powerhouse?
I, for one, do.
God bless Amurikuh.