Thursday, February 01, 2007

Viva!


That's the view from my room. I'm totally at the ghetto end of the strip, which sucks. And I'm in a smoking room (because that's all they had left), which also sucks. But my hotel has a nightly Neil Diamond impersonator as well as some horrible show called 'The Concert that Never Was" starring Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand impersonators singing duets, so that's pretty righteous.
The conference is going well, and we've had some good food. (That sushi last night was the biz-omb. The sake wasn't bad either.) Also, I haven't lost any money gambling. In fact, I'm up a bit--about $100. It's pretty dead here right now, but I'm sure the crowds will start building tomorrow in anticipation of Superbowl weekend. We've had good weather, and we've seen our fair share of 100% pure freaks. For instance, tonight we were at The Venetian (which is DOUBLING in size as we speak; they're building a whole 'nother wing on to that sucker. Insanity!), and there was this HORRIBLE lounge band playing at one of the bars. They were murdering the Rolling Stones "Beast of Burden," and we went to check it out. It was a four piece: the lead singer looked like Daddy Warbucks with a head mike, and there was some bimbo playing bongos and those windchime things like there was no tomorrow, and there were also plenty of painfully dorky white folks getting their groove on on the dance floor. But that wasn't even the highlight of what we saw. That honor is reserved for the 65-ish year old grandpa looking dude standing off to the side, slowly bobbing his head to the beat. He had on loafers, camo pants, a Planet Hollywood denim jacket, little John Lennon-type glasses, a tall grey mohawk, and blue lips tattooed on his cheek. The mohawk and the tattoo were real, people! Fuckin' awesome. Of course, I didn't have my digital camera with me. Damnit.
The word from home? The Geej pooped in the bathtub last night. I'm so sorry I had to miss that.
Okay, I'm off to beddy-bye. It's been a long one, and it starts all over tomorrow bright and early.
I'll try and post again tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Millardman said...

You must be staying on the Space Shuttle from the looks of that pic. Name the joint. Glad you're having fun. So jealous even though I was just there. You have to bet on the game!
Approval word: dluixrea

Anonymous said...

Dang, girl. Neil Diamond impersonator? You're never gonna want to leave.

Poop in the tub? Shit happens.

OK -- I'm so incredibly sorry but I COULDN'T RESIST! BWAHHAAHAHAHA!!!