Monday, June 19, 2006

Suddenly, everything's changed.

Saturday night, waaaaaaaaay after The Geej's regular bedtime, we arrived home tired and happy after Annie O's righteous 3rd birthday soiree. I changed the diaper of The Geej, and put her wiped out self into her crib. Then the wailing commenced. I told her goodnight, and left the room shutting the door behind me. I went into the guestroom to check my e-mail. No sooner had I logged on when, lo and behold, The Geej walks into the room, teary eyed and sleepy. That's right people: she's crawling out of the crib now. Holy crap. That means every sense of security that you feel when you tuck them away for the night is gone. Evaporated. It totally freaked me out. I put her back in the bed, then hid in the corner to watch her do her thing. And what did she do? Headfirst, into sort of a stunt man roll. It was alarming to say the least. I was planning on getting her a "big girl bed" for Christmas, but it looks like she'll be getting one for her birthday (which is next month) instead. Lordy.

The other big development at Casa de Geej: The highchair a.k.a. ongoing lab experiment in nastiness is no more. Instead, we now have (drumroll) the Kinderzeat!

Overpriced? Yes. But I'll be damned if those Scandinavians don't know how to design some cool furniture. I put this thing together in nothing flat, and it's sturdy and adjustable all at the same time. And you push it right up to the table. My little breakfast area is quite small, and that damn highchair was taking up a whole helluva lot of floor space. Plus, it was ugly. (There's really no such thing as a "pretty" highchair, in my opinion.) Now it's in storage waiting for a garage sale, and I've got this nifty little number to accommodate the Geej's peaches whilst dining. Yay!!

Other news? Well, I'm still sick. It's been a week now, and I've still got the deep, hacking cough of a 3-pack a day smoker. Plus, my entire body aches due to my hardcore coughing fits. No medicine seems to help--even Mucinex, which I've heard works like a charm. And my throat hurts really badly today. I'm so sick of being sick it's not even funny.

This morning when I was listening to K-UT while getting ready, I heard these words, "At 7:00, it's 75 degrees, and 95% humidity." Oy.

1 comment:

Me said...

Ahhhh yes, the days of toddler wandering. My daughter (who's now 8) started climbing out of her crib. So, my then-husband and I put the baby gate in her doorway so she would at least refrain from wandering the halls at night.

The way we found out she could climb over the gate (which, I guess couldn't have been too hard, since she could already get out of the crib- hey, i had really bad postpartum depression and shit for a while)??

Fast asleep on a Sunday morning, around 8 a.m. And then, about two inches from my face: "HIIII MOMMYYYYYYYY!"

This was also the way I discovered I could jump from a horizontal position.