Saturday, August 27, 2005

Seriously random.

Hooray! I got the latest "My Twinn" catalogue in the mail today. I'd been waiting for it for months!! Not really, of course. Those dolls creep me out. But it's totally something my mom would get for The Geej. I'm going to have to destroy this catalogue before she comes for another visit.

The Geej's daycare had their annual fundraiser Garage Sale today, and the deal was that, as a parent, you were obligated to either work a 3-hour shift or contribute $50 to the kitty. (Because the $795 a month I'm paying isn't enough, apparently.) On the sign up sheet, it asked "Will you need child care?" and of course I put, "Yes." Well, we show up for my 10am shift and, guess what, no child care. Apparently there wasn't enough interest (I'm the only single parent at this daycare), so they didn't have any. So I had to write them a check for $50 and leave. It would've been nice if they'd thought to tell me (and anyone else who'd put "yes" on the sign up sheet) YESTERDAY that they weren't going to provide child care. I detest shoddy communication and having my time wasted. Grrr...

Speaking of money, I got my long distance bill yesterday, and discovered that a 36 minute call I made to the Texpatriate in Norway cost me ninety fucking dollars. I knew it was going to be expensive, but $90?! I love you Texpatriate, but it's e-mail from now on.

I'm officially sick of summer. I hate August. And unfortunately, September usually isn't any less brutal, so I predict a 90% chance of a very cranky month ahead.

The Geej is really trying to walk, and it's sad because she really sucks at it. Did I say "sad?" I meant hilarious. She gets so excited when she stands up on her own, and then she tries to walk and--BAM--she's on her ass. The most steps she's managed to string together thus far is 3. But every great journey begins with...yadda yadda.

She's also turned into the kissing bandit. If it's not moving, she kisses it. Diapers (clean, of course), the sink, her classmates who can't crawl yet, and my poor old cat Ellen have all been recent victims of attacks by the kissing bandit. Her kisses are very exaggerated and accompanied by a big "myUH!" smacking noise. Pretty funny.

Did you watch the series finale of "Six Feet Under?" I was a big SFU fan, but am glad they ended the series before it seriously started to suck. In the last episode, the scene with Ruth and Brenda on the stairs made me weep. Some of the best writing/acting I've seen in a while. So subtle; so real. And I am totally obsessed with the song they played at the end as they did the flash forward to all the deaths while Claire drove across the desert. It's called "Breathe Me" and it's by a woman named Sia who has also sung with Zero 7 (who I love). I went to iTunes to download it and it was only available if you downloaded the ENTIRE SFU album, which I didn't want. But luckily, I have a friend who had an Astralwerks sampler with the song on it, and she e-mailed it to me. Fuck yeah. I love the Internet. So I've listened to it about 100 times now, and it never fails to make me misty. Good song.

What else...My house is disgusting. Now that I've been back at work for 3+ weeks, things have gotten really nasty around here. I simply have NO time to clean anything. And the time I do have to do it--between about 8:30 and 10:30 at night; after Geej goes to sleep and before I do--I'm always doing other things, like showering, laundry, paying bills, washing dishes, getting her food ready for school the next day, reading mail, etc. I came home from work at lunch time on Wednesday just so I could change the crib sheets, vaccuum, and get some stuff out of the garage for the daycare's garage sale--all things that would've been difficult or impossible to do with the baby in tow. My life is a study in drudgery.

Got to run. I think the baby picked up some cat litter off the nasty ass floor and is eating it.

2 comments:

Badger said...

$50?! Jesus. That seems vaguely extortion-like.

That My Twinn catalog creeps me out, too. I have no idea how I got on that mailing list.

Karla said...

Gah! $90! Damn, that is extortinate.
Seems right now everyone is out to get yer cash...the car people, the phone people, the day care folks. ARg.
Though I think Bookhart and my brother got slammed the first times they tried calling me, as well.
Sorry 'bout that.
Big MWAH to you and the Geej...