Sunday, August 28, 2005

God Bless Mama

My mom e-mailed me on Friday morning saying she wanted to come back down this weekend to haul a carload of stuff down to her new house. (She did this last weekend too. Drove 5 hours just to leave a bunch of towels and bathmats and stuff down at her new house.) Her movers come next Thursday, but apparently she had a load of stuff that just wouldn't wait. So down she came yesterday, and left today. That's quite a haul for only one night's visit--270 miles from her driveway to mine. But, whatever. I think she's just so excited about moving, that she can't stand it. Plus, she misses the Geej something fierce when she's not here.

I'd been invited to a gathering of some of my girlfriends last night, but had turned it down because I wasn't going to have childcare, and I didn't want to be the buzzkiller who brought the baby to a gathering whose specific purpose was to get AWAY from the kids. So I told my mom about this event, and she told me to go. But here's how lame I am: I fell asleep in front of the t.v. at 8:45pm. That's right: I had the opportunity to go out, but the idea of sleeping proved more irresistible. So I went to bed and to sleep before 9:30--something that me a year ago would've scoffed at as being devastatingly lame.

This morning, mom let me sleep in until almost 8:00! She handled the Geej while I slumbered for 10+ hours. Heavenly, just heavenly. Then, even though I knew she wanted to get on the road early, I begged her to let me do some housework while she watched the baby, and she said, "Sure, honey." I swept and mopped and vacuumed and did laundry and watered plants and dusted. I was a fucking whirling dervish of housework. And can I just tell you how much better the world looks when you've had a good night's sleep and your floors are clean? My mom left to go home about 2:45 when she'd wanted to leave "before lunch." Man, she rocks.

I know that by Wednesday, it'll be a wreck again, but for right now, the Geej is napping, my house is clean, and life is good.

No comments: