Friday, August 12, 2005

Cocktails and conversation.

All yesterday at work I kept bragging to co-workers that I was "going out for drinks" that night. Big fucking deal, right? Well, for me, yes. You see, the Geej has put quite a damper in my after-work cavorting. Or any cavorting, for that matter. So when I do have that rare night out, Geej-free, it's like finding a $50 bill in the dryer. Not that I don't love the Geej. God knows I worship that little imp. But Mommy needs her fun too. Mommy needs to have conversations with adult humans that don't involve me singing "Row, row, row your boat" at some point during it. It's better for both of us when that happens.
So we (Texpatriate, Badger and Bookhart) met on a warm but not hot August evening to enjoy expensive-but-worth-it cocktails, light breezes, and wonderful WONDERFUL girl chatting. I thought I'd be home before 10pm, and I got home past 11:00...on a school night!! What a rebel, eh? Martini olives and vodka for dinner? Why not?! If I could've, I would've stayed out until they kicked us off the balcony of the Stephen F. But the 6:00am reality of my Friday morning was omnipresent.
And now here it is: 9:40 on Friday night, and I'm struggling to keep my eyelids from closing. Last night, and its carefree energy seems a million miles away. But all day today it kept making me smile. I kept thinking how lucky I am to have the friends that I have. And then I thought how cool it is that something as dorky as a blog can bring new friends into your life as well. Badger's a rock star. Texpatriate and Bookhart are limitless bad asses. I am honored to be among them.

My mom is visiting (hence my ability to go out last night...I didn't just leave the Geej at home with a bag of frozen peas and a beer), and she offered a wonderful gift tonight: I get to sleep in MY bed (I've been sleeping on the bed in the baby's room while Mom's here) with the door closed and the baby monitor off. And she even said that I should take an Ambien to make sure I actually get a solid night's sleep (something I haven't had in...well...forever. Thanks menopause!), and I'm totally going to do it. Sandman, here I come!

No comments: