Monday, November 13, 2006

"Sunny day, everything's A-OK..."

The Geej is at the Elmo stage. Which is fine. She only has one Elmo item, and it lives at her grandmother's house because it talks, and I don't likes no noisy toys. Anyway, I started TiFaux-ing Sesame Street every day a while back, and as part of our end-of-day wind down, I fast forward past most of the rest of the show to get to "Elmo's World," which is always in the last 20 or so minutes. She hasn't really shown much interest in the rest of the show until last week.

Last week's shows featured a running storyline of the street's Veterinarian, Gina, going off to Guatemala to adopt a 10 mo. old baby named Marco. Gina's single, like me, and all of Gina's friends on Sesame Street were super excited about this whole event. I'd be fast-forwarding past anything having to do with the baby in order to get us to "Elmo's World", and The Geej would protest, "I wanna watch this. I wanna see the baby!" So we did. And I've got to hand it to Sesame Street--they did a nice job of handling this. I found myself getting all weepy and shit during one of the segments. They also showed some videos throughout the week that featured "non-traditional" families--mixed race, same-sex parents, single parents, grandparents as parents, etc. I'm sure it's stuff like this that gets the right wingers out there all up in arms and has them wanting to yank CPB funding for this show. However, as someone who is in a non-traditional family by choice, I applaud them showing families of all stripes.

Then, as if that weren't enough, on Friday's "Elmo's World," Elmo was thinking about babies. It was all babies, all the time. I don't think The Geej will ever allow me to erase this episode.

3 comments:

La Turista said...

Greatest. Show. Ever.

Me said...

I loves me some Sesame Street. I think the Count is an old Jewish vampire. And Oscar the Grouch fuckin' ROCKS.

Love your new picture too, by the way. Email me sometime!

-E :)

Mommygoth said...

Yeah, Sesame Street does it right,no matter how annoying some of it is.