Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Open mouth. Insert entire leg.

So I've been perturbed at my adoption agency--specifically with my main contact, Jan--for some time now. During the three months (yes, it's been three months) since my trip to Russia, I've been expecting and needing regular communication with them. But it seems like I'm always the initiator. I've been having to place frequent calls and send e-mails to get info and learn of any new news. And I've also been relying on the Internet and the "Vladadopt" listserv in order to get any information at all about the new Russian adoption laws that have thrown everything into chaos and caused so many delays.

Well, the final straw came when two question-filled e-mails I recently sent to Jan were simply ignored and then when yesterday came and went without a word from them. You see, yesterday was the third Tuesday of the month, and it's been my understanding that court dates are issued on the first and third Tuesdays of the month only. (Don't ask me why...it's just another crazy rule I've encountered in this whole process.) My whole return trip to get The Geej is based on this long-awaited court date. I was fully expecting to hear yesterday that my court date had been set. However, there was no news which, in my mind, meant that I would have to wait another excruciating 3 weeks until the first Tuesday in April.

This morning I shot Jan a rather terse e-mail about how I thought that they were doing a very poor job of providing proactive communication about what's going on and of simply checking in on those of us who are in this messed-up "between trip" situation. (If there hadn't been this Russian legal hold up, I would've already gone and gotten my baby and been back for a couple of weeks by now. But instead, this waiting period has dragged on for 3 months.) I basically said that I was losing confidence in their agency based on how they've handled this situation. This was a big deal for me to do. Usually I am the "sit there and take it" type, but I just had to vent a little about this awful frustration I've experienced, exacerbated by the spotty communication on their end.

She called me back pretty quickly after I sent the message and told me--no shit--that she'd been traveling quite a bit over the past three weeks, dealing with the unexpected death of her mother who had burned to death after some of her clothes caught on fire.

Gulp. Um...what?

OH MY GOD!! I have never felt like such a cockroach.

1 comment:

Karla said...

Oh. Shit.

However, maybe they could have had someone handling her case load while she was gone?