Friday, November 04, 2005

Frozen Foods I Love

I very rarely actually get to cook for myself these days, what with the Geej and all, so when I DO actually get to eat food that isn't Geej leftovers (Are you gonna eat that last bite of banana? Cool. Can I have it?), it's usually of the frozen/microwave variety. So now, an homage to the stuff that sustains me. In no particular order, I dig:

1. Stouffer's Spinach Souffle
I actually haven't had this in a long time, but I fucking love it. Have since I was a kid. It takes about 5 hours to cook in the oven, but it's so worth it.

2. Morningstar Farms Veggie Corn Dogs
I know you meat-itarians are going, "Yuck!" But seriously, these things taste just like the pig lips weenie variety you know and love.

3. Boca Breakfast Sausage Patties
Love 'em. Eat 'em for dinner sometimes. The Geej likes them too.

4. Hain Pure Foods Veggie Bowls
They're so damn good. Nice mixtures of vegetables (like green peas, green beans and Brussels sprouts, for instance) that you steam in their own bowl with these light, flavorful sauces that enhance (but don't mask) the flavor of the veggies.

5. Fish sticks
A holdover from childhood. Give them to me and let me drench them in lemon juice or malt vinegar, and I'm as happy as a pig in slop.

6. Anything by Amy's
Her black-eyed peas/rice bowl is great. Her pesto tortellini is great. Hell, even her vegetarian meatloaf is yummy. I heart Amy's.

7. Blue Bell Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
I really can't buy this anymore, because I have the tendency to polish off a pint within 48 hours (which is not a good thing...for my ass). But damn, I love it.

8. Marie Callendar's Cobblers
Again, haven't made this in a long time, but just getting to smell them while they cook is almost as big of a treat as eating them.

9. Grapes
If you freeze green grapes, they taste like yummy little popsicles.

10. Tater Fucking Tots.
I think I'm drooling a little. Crispy tater tots sprinkled with cayenne pepper? Heaven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about frozen eggrolls and canned soup. Yum. I, too, have been eating a whole lot of strange "convenience" foods. Last night, I served Brent a can of tofu noodle soup and a previously frozen hot dog bun with cheese toast. I called it a "vegetarian hot dog". I'm so happy for you about the house!

Kristen

Karla said...

I SO miss good frozen "gunch" food. Little brown crispy bites of snacky goodness. Like those little pizza rolls, tater tots, and crappy crispy thing that got served at parties as "orderves" in the 70's.

Here in Norway the frozen foods selection is miserable. All you can get are pizzas and terribly overpriced, crappy meals like boiled potatoes and meat cakes.

Yes, meat cakes.

And don't get me started on the lack of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Sigh.....

hotpinksox said...

Your list of favorite food cracked me up. I ate 3 morning star hotdog yesterday. And the Boca breakfast sausage patties are a staple in my diet. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
And congratulations on the house. I freaked when I bought mine. I started crying at the signing when I read the pay off date. Not because of the money but thinking about all the things that could happened to me in that house in 30 years. You and the Geej will be very happy there. Enjoy it.