Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Proof I'm losing my mind...

I forgot the "words" to the ABC song this morning. The ABC Song, people!! I was changing The Geej's diaper and singing along, when all of the sudden I got to the "QRS" section, and forgot what letters came after what. Also, I was unable to add 9 + 8 earlier today. What the hell?

Mom is here visiting. She got here Sunday afternoon. The main reason is to see Geej, of course, but a nice secondary benefit has been that we were able to take my car to be worked on. (Mom put a car seat in her car, which makes things SO much easier.) It was overheating and the A/C was having problems, neither of which you want to deal with during summer in Austin, believe me. So hopefully, this will take care of things for a while.

Yesterday we drove down to Horseshoe Bay to see MOM'S NEW HOUSE. It's about 55 miles west of Austin--a lovely little resort community (read: lots of over-50s folks) right on Lake LBJ. Mom looked at this place in March, and then again in early July. She just loved it, put a bid on it, and I'll be damned if she didn't get it. It's only a couple of years old and is in immaculate condition. And you know how it is when a friend gets a new car, and you ride around in it and it's all super-clean and has that new car smell and all the latest gadgets and whatnot, and then all of the sudden you've got new car fever, and you're looking at the car ads in Saturday's paper and paying close attention to the endless barrage of car commercials that come on while you're watching the 10pm news...? Well, it works the same way when you go see and (almost) new house that's spotless with all the latest appliances and tons of storage and a kick ass floor plan. I've got new house fever in a bad way. But I guess it's just further proof that I'm losing my mind because a) I don't have the money and b) I don't have the time to look/buy/move. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through my mom as she moves into and decorates this place (and I'm going to have to try like hell to steer her clear of the 1980s decor she's so fond of...).

2 comments:

Karla said...

New House Fever is a strong pull.
But believe me when I tell you that new houses ain't all that and a bag of chips. So far, in our brand new flat, the kitchen sink faucet was put on backwards and so, if you twist it too far, it explodes off and water shoots everywhere, our oven talks back to us (luckily now in English instead of German), the bathroom toilet flusher was put in wrong and refuses to flush at times, and the shower in the 2nd bathroom drains wrong and the water goes into the middle of the floor and floods the bathroom.
Yeah, new places are cool, but sometimes I really miss the simplicity of things that just turn 'on' and 'off' and don't give you 45 electronic options! None of which I want or understand....
Your mom's new house looks awesome, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I love 80's decor! Does your Mom have a Nagel? That would be rad.

Hey, p.s., email me because I'm coming to visit in late September and I only have your work email.

(Lane)