Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Mr. Mumbly Update

Several of you have been kind enough to inquire about what happened with "Mr. Mumbly" when he came over the other night. I feel obliged to fill you in.

First off, I'm starting to feel like a real Grade-A asshole for calling him "Mr. Mumbly." He's a very nice, decent guy and he doesn't deserve to be made fun of like that. So from now on, he'll be known as Hutch. (Some of you reading know why, the rest will have to wonder. Sorry.)

Well, when Hutch called and said he wanted to come by, I was just sure that telling him my mom was still here would turn him off because, after all, he's a guy. But no, he was like, "Okay, so when's a good time?" Hmm...

He came by about 7:00 with a sweet "Get well soon" card and some rather sad looking flowers that he had left in his car in the scorching heat, and were therefore, quite wilted. We all hung out and chatted. Mom made a pitcher of margaritas and then tended to the Geej so that Hutch and I could talk. But eventually, we all ended up in the t.v. room. The Geej was getting cranky and our tummies were starting to rumble because nobody but the baby had actually eaten dinner. You see, Mom and I had just been planning on having tunafish sandwiches prior to Hutch's plan to come by and visit. Ultrabore. But now that we had company...who obviously wasn't just "stopping by," we were in a pickle. He offered to go get a pizza or something, but then I said, "Well...we were going to have tunafish sandwiches...I don't know if you're interested..." and he wholeheartedly agreed that yes, he would indeed like a sandwich. So I whooped some sandwiches and we all sat around eating sandwiches and drinking margaritas. It was nice, but strange. He was very complimentary of my "cooking," which I thought was very sweet. When I started yawning uncontrollably (I get tired so early these days), he graciously excused himself and went home.

He e-mailed me the following day to tell me what a nice time he'd had and how he'd gotten a kick out of the fact that I so casually said "fuck" and "shit" in front of my mother. My reply was, "And you don't?"

So now I'm grappling with whether or not I should ask him to go to a wedding with me in August. I've got a hot BCBG dress that I got for 75% off months ago that I've been dying to wear and have had no occasion to. And I have all of these friends who've offered to babysit whenever I need it. But asking a guy to go to a wedding with you is sort of a big deal, no? My real motive is so that I could introduce him to as many friends as possible at once and I could see, once and for all, if this is worth pursuing on another level. (How he gels with my friends is very, very important. My ex-husband never melded, and that was an issue. My friends ARE my family, and you gots to love 'em.)

So, what do YOU think I should do? I'm sort of socially retarded at this point, so I need feedback. And I've got an RSVP date looming...

1 comment:

Karla said...

Eh, go 'head, ask him. He seems pretty cool from what you've said, and remembering how you met him, he also seems to like you for who you are.

Otherwise YOU get to be MY date!

Have the invites gone out yet? I'm worried that a) mine got lost in the mail due to moving, etc., or b) I got cut, in which case, fuck it I'm crashing anyways!