Saturday, July 16, 2005

Whatever turns you on...

I've been meaning to write about this for a while. The Geej has very unusual taste in toys. Yes, she likes the typical things that you get a toy store and cost money, but there is also stuff that she finds amusing that really bewilder me. A short list...

1) Napkins or paper towels. I discovered this one day when I had dropped a few paper napkins on the floor near her, and she decided to crawl around with a napkin in each hand and totally entertained herself for about 1/2 an hour.
2) Baby socks. Give her a sock, and she's good to go.
3) Her own empty bottle. For some reason, this item is highly entertaining.
4) My computer keyboard. She really, really wants to learn how to type. I unplug it and just let her go nuts sometimes.
5) A little silver box from a jewelry store, taped shut with some magnets in it (so it rattles). Man does she ever love this thing. She consistently digs it out of her toy box and acts like it's the biggest treasure in the world.
6) The "Power Bag." (RIP) This was a little silver drawstring bag that once held a piece of jewelry in the aforementioned silver box. Holy God, she loved this thing. I called it her "power bag" because when she got it in her hand, she would turbo crawl around the house for an hour at breakneck speed. Sadly, the Power Bag disappeared about a month ago. My strong suspicion is that she threw it in the trash can here near my desk (a pretty common place for her toys to end up), and it got tossed.
7) The bed. She will flop around and play on the bed for hours if you let her. We have at least 2 "playing on the bed" sessions a day.
8) My VERY grumpy 15 yr. old cat, Ellen. All Ellen does is sleep about 23 hours a day, but The Geej thinks she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. She tries to get her to play with her toys by bashing her in the skull with whatever the toy of the moment happens to be. I usually have to intervene at this point so that Ellen doesn't scratch the Geej's beautiful blue eyes out.
9) The pig magnet. I have a lot of magnets on my fridge that I've moved down to Geej-level so that she can play with them while I'm doing stuff in the kitchen. But there's this one magnet, a ceramic pig that says, "Ah...Food!" on it that she's taken a particular shine to. She LOVES it, and will play with it for the longest time.
10) Baby food jar lids. Something about the shape and the sound of them when you bang them on stuff I suppose. We have quite a collection of them.
11) Coupons/special offers. This one is the weirdest and most persistent of all of her quirks. She LOVES index-card size, heavier stock pieces of paper, like those that you find inside magazines or in the rebate section at Home Depot. If it's glossy paper stock, it's even better. I've gotten in the habit of picking these types of things up whenever I see them. For instance, I saw a stack of "10% off Capezio Dancewear" cards at the movie recently (what?!), and I got about three of them. Damn she loved those cards. Each one lasted about a week. She'f show her lilttle card to me like, "Moms! Peep this mad shit!" And I'd say, "I know! It's a very good offer! And it has no expiration date!" What inevitably happens though is that she starts biting on the edges of her special offer, and little bits come off in her mouth, and then we have to throw it away. It's always very sad.

I'm sure as the weeks and months pass, there will be more weird crap that she plays with. My plan is to keep at least a few of these items so that one day when she's feeling very sophisticated and/or materialistic, I can gently remind her that she used to play with napkins and socks and be perfectly happy.

No comments: