Friday, August 17, 2007

Psychic iTunes, Bookstore laxatives, and other phenomena.

Is it just me, or...

Everytime you spend, say, more than 3 minutes in a bookstore or library, do you suddenly...you know...need to go? Because I do. Without fail. I vaguely remember Jerry Seinfeld talking about this effect in one of his long-ago stand up routines, and I felt totally liberated. I was like, "THANK you, Mr. Seinfeld!! You have now confirmed the fact that I'm not a total medical mystery unto myself." So why does this happen? My theory is that the collection of papers, inks, glues, etc. make the air within bookstores some sort of airborne, instantaneous laxative. Somebody should really do a study.

Also, it is sometimes just plain eerie how my iTunes KNOWS what music I need to hear. Take today for instance: I'm in a pissy mood. Really pissy. On top of the fact that The Geej was in a very difficult mood last night, there's some stupid shit going on at work that's taking up a lot of my time, and it's just generally unpleasant. Plus, once again, my 3rd Quarter bonus didn't appear on my paycheck. Q3 ended in early July, and I've reminded my boss about this oversight 2 times now. He pretty much told me that the "form would go to payroll" about 10 days ago and, voila, no bonus. So yeah, I'm in a foul mood. What does that mean? My iTunes wants me to rock. I threw on the headphones this morning and a random but steady stream of rock hit my ears: Sugar, Ozzy, Hole, Van Halen, Foo Fighters, old Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, A Perfect Circle, boom, boom, boom. One right after another. Niiiiiiiiiiice. Then, after I'd worked out some of my angst and needed to focus on writing, my iTunes suddenly switched gears: Air, Sade, Roy Orbison, Luna, Emmylou Harris, Theivery Corporation, Kings of Convenience. It just KNEW!! What the fuck is Apple up to? Is it some sort of biofeedback tool that's translating my brainwaves into signals sent to the iTunes through my headphones? Yes. That's got to be what it is.

Here's another thing: Yesterday, I got 2 voicemails and an e-mail from friends alerting me to the fact that Rufus was going to be playing live on K-UT at 2pm. Thanks to my mad and very public love of Rufus, the universe decided to let me know three times over that I should tune in. And I did. And I got to hear him explain the story behind one of my favorite songs off the new album: "Going to a Town." Sigh.

Sometimes I feel like I live in the suburbs of The Twilight Zone.

4 comments:

Millardman said...

Whatever, you're still 48% evil.

Bookhart said...

I have the exaccle same physical reaction in bookstores and libraries. I thought it was just me, too.

My word verification is "podel."

Karla said...

I think you know what happens to me whenever i go to Last Call, yo.

Me said...

Oh, thank God... I'm not the only one. Just like Bookhart, it's bookstores and libraries. I really thought I was some kind of freak. Wait, I am.

-Eileen :)