Saturday, August 25, 2007

Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

That's the sound I've been hearing in my head since roughly yesterday afternoon. It's a headache that started slowly--like far off fireworks--and by 3:00 today, it had completely overtaken me. I had that "Mortified" audition/reading thing at 2pm (more on that later), and then it was all I could do to get home and get my ass in the bed. My room is awesome for afternoon naps--quiet, super dark, cool, ceiling fan white noise.

I passed the hell out at about 3:30 and groggily woke up at 8:15pm. The headache is still here, but it's muffled once again. I think it's stress (work), combined with exhaustion (lots of interrupted sleep this week thanks to The Geej), and the weather (hot/humid). All I know is it that it all kicked my ass. I had all these plans about how I was going to spend my free Saturday afternoon, and they were all wiped away. I guess my body and my brain really needed it.


Other news:

I found out yesterday that Mr. Wonderful scored a job interview for a big state agency doing what he wants to be doing. The interview's on the 7th, and they're flying him down here for it, then he'll stay through the weekend with me. That means I'll get to see him twice in September--the job interview weekend and the H.S. reunion weekend. I'm so happy!


About the reunion... Yeah... I've sort of had second thougths about the whole thing. I want to go and see everyone, but I don't want it to be a big "event," you know? For instance, unless our plans change, Mr. Wonderful and I are planning on doing the free football game and bowling stuff on the Friday night of the reunion weekend, but I don't think we'll be going to the $65/per person dressy fajita buffet/cash bar event on Saturday. I think, instead, we're going to try to hang out with Mr. Wonderful's brother and sister-in-law (something we've never gotten to do without kids around) and maybe go gambling in Shreveport or something.


The Geej starts back to school next Tuesday. Thank God. She's jonesing for it so badly. Not only is she missing her boyfriend Daschel, she's just missing school in general. She wants me to play school with her all the time, and I think she does much better with the structure that school provides rather than the sort of willy nilly schedule she's had for the past six weeks. She's moving into the primary class where she and one other little girl, Kennedy, will be the only three year olds. It's going to be a big adjustment for her, but I really feel like she's ready and will benefit from being around the older kids and modeling their behavior.


I guess the other big news I have is work-related: On Thursday, the company I work for won a major, lengthy court case that threatened to block our merger with one of our (former) competitors. This is huge, and is going to impact all of us in unforseen ways. Fiscal year 08 is going to be a very, very busy year with lots and lots of change. Speaking of change, one of my Team Members quit on Friday afternoon, effective immediately. So now, bright and early Monday morning, I have to rally my troops and talk about what's next. This is a first for me as the boss, and it sort of sucks. But I know that, in the long run, my team will be better and stronger than ever.


Finally, I have a confession to make. I'm not a big reality t.v. whore like a lot of my friends, but I have been TOTALLY sucked into "Scott Baio is 45 and Single" and "Rock of Love" on VH-1. The Scott Baio show has been unexpectedly charming and interesting. And "Rock of Love"? Who DOESN'T love a bunch of super skanky drunk stripper types in hardcore catfights over the skankiest skank in skank-town, Poison's Bret Michaels. Ugh. It's so awful, it's awesome. And god do I wish I had a dollar for every time they've either played snippets of and/or in other ways referenced Poison's power ballad, "Every Rose Has its Thorn," I'd buy a round of Sex on the Beach shots for the lot of ya!


And now, for the opposite of "blech" and for absolutely no reason other than the fact that he's yummy, here's a photo of Clive Owen.
Me-OW!

6 comments:

La Turista said...

Who you callin' a whore?

Jaye Joseph said...

Mmmmm, Clive.

And who are you calling a whore?

Karla May said...

Hey La T and Jaye,
If the whore-sized shoe fits...

Anonymous said...

Yeah well I, too, have been drug into the bordello. All my BlogBuds talk about their tv shows, and off I go to the dvr. Soon to be searching for Scott Baio. Sigh.

SUS said...

I am watching the Rock of Love, but cannot stomach the Nobody Loves Chachi show.

I have a confession to make. Everytime they show that batshit Lacey chick on Rock of Love, I can't help but think that she could be your (totally insane) slutty groupie younger sister. It might be the hair color. I dunno. You're a lot more sane and a lot less whoreish than she is though.

Jojanna said...

So now there is no question as to where you work, I suspected as much.
I am organizing a tailgate for Hallsville 87 reunion and may do drinks with the Longview crowd but passing on the rest. Do you remember how important that crowd of people was to us at the time? And now I would rather drink on my sister's back porch than pay to see how bloated and hairless everyone has become.