Monday, July 16, 2007

Dictionary definition of the term "Brain Dead."

Y'all, The Geej and I had a blast visiting Julie, Moon and their kiddos in Norman. Too much of a blast, I suspect. I am running on fumes, and my liver is hating me. And guess what? I GOT PICKED AT JURY DUTY TODAY! Ohmyfuckinggod, I have never, EVER been so damn bored in my life. My day went like this (now with bullets!!):
Get to the Municipal Courthouse by 8:30.
  • Sit in "reception" room for about 45 minutes.
  • Go into actual courtroom.
  • Get asked questions by both attorneys.
  • Get asked to go into the hallway and wait.
  • Get called back into the courtroom.
  • Watch 11 other people get released.
  • 6 of us remain.
  • The trial starts immediately.
  • It's about this dude who lives on this 10 acre tract in an area called the "ETJ" (extra territorial jurisdiction) of the city of Austin. It's more or less a no-man's-land that's not considered within the city limits (and receives little or no city services), but is still beholden to the laws and ordinances of the city. Anyhoo, he was basically using his land for a purpose that was not sanctioned by the proper permitting, and had three charges pending against him. This particular case had been going on since 2002. I seriously wanted to kill myself after about an hour of listening to the minutiae of this stupid ass case.
  • But no, it lasted until 5:00pm, when we were FINALLY charged and told to go figure out his guilt or innocence and his punishment if necessary.
  • Our deliberation lasted about another 45 minutes.
  • Ultimately, we all figured out that he's an idiot, but that doesn't excuse him from the letter of the law. He was guilty on all 3 counts and we levied a $750 for each charge (the maximum was $2000/per).
  • Did I mention how fucking boring this shit was?
  • And the prosecuting attorney was slimy and icky and I wanted to slap him.
  • Aside from perhaps the Social Security office, the Municipal Court building may be one of the most depressing places on the face of the Earth.
  • I hope it's another 20 years before I get called upon to do my civic duty.
I'm going to bed. Pictures and tales from Okra-homa tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mags said...

You, me, and the Malcontent Mama, all having jury duty within a month of each other?

Must be something wrong with the computers, or it's Foul-Mouthed Fire-Breathing MILF month in the judicial system.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was going to get tagged for federal jury duty, because they sent me some idiot questionnaire, but so far, I have not. Perhaps when I listed "Paralegal" on my survey, they threw it in the "oh fuck no" pile. At least I hope so.

It was fun to meet you and the Geej in person!