Friday, September 29, 2006

Another crappy day is Suck City.

Bad day. Good day. Bad day.

I smell a pattern here.

Yesterday afternoon, I started hurting in my abdomen. Badly. Sharp, unusual pains. It was to the right of the drain site, and felt just like the pains I had in the hospital when the first drain they'd put in me had become infected. I kept wishing it would go away, but it didn't. Instead, it got worse overnight. Luckily, I wasn't having any fever, but still, by morning, I could barely get out of the bed by myself and I couldn't stand up straight. So bright and early, I get on the horn to the colo/rectal doctor--Dr. M.--and leave a somewhat frantic message with his nurse about what was going on. I say "somewhat frantic" because it was FRIDAY morning, and I feared that if this pain kept increasing over the course of the weekend without me being checked out, I was going to end up in the god dang ER once again.

Of course Dr. M. was in surgery all day, but his nurse scheduled me for an abdominal CT scan for this afternoon and told me not to eat anything until the procedure. Remember, dear Internets, that I JUST HAD A FUCKING CT SCAN 2 DAYS AGO and how much fun it was, so suffice it to say, I was thrilled with this news.

I had a 1:15 appt. with the infectious disease doctor--Dr. B. No big deal: they just refilled all my meds, cleaned up my PICC line, drew some blood and gave me an antibiotics infusion. After that appt., I went to the radiology place--it was 3:00pm. I drank my big jug of berry flavored barium and waited. I got changed into my hospital gown and pants and waited. Finally, at 4:30, they called me back to--you guessed it--try and get an IV started in that same damn arm that they couldn't do on Wednesday, right in the same damn spot even! Of course, their attempts failed miserably (as I told them they would) and left me more bruised and in tears. They finally got me up on the table and, once again, had to do the iodine infusion into my PICC line by hand. Eternal. Did the scan and told me to get dressed and wait to hear what Dr. M. had to say.

So I did. And I waited. And waited. And finally at 6:30, the radiology tech comes in and says, "You can go." Um...what? He said that the radiologist had spoken with Dr. M. about my scans, and that Dr. M. had said I could go home. The end. No other information available.

And yes, I'm still in pain (although the vicodin is taking the edge off somewhat). But now I'm even MORE frustrated because I spent my entire afternoon getting an expensive test done and I know nothing. Would it be too much to ask for the damn doctor to call me and let me know what's going on? I guess so...

Fuck.

My spirits are flagging, folks. Big time.

On the upside, Jules will be here in a couple of hours. Yay Jules!!

3 comments:

Bookhart said...

At least you are home right now. Damn, none of this is fair and you don't deserve any of this. hope that this turns out to be nothing. I've been holding off on calling you because I felt I was becoming a bit of a pest but I've been sending you good vibes all week.

Anonymous said...

Same with me. But I've checked your blog one thousand times each day. I'm so glad Jules will be there. I'm home all the time and can do anything but I've not wanted to pester you.

Nap Queen said...

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It just plain sucks :( I haven't been commenting lately, but I've been reading and I've been sending good thoughts your way.