Thursday, February 03, 2011

I've been up since 4 something a.m.

So please excuse me if I ramble more than usual.

In case you've been ensconced in a climate controlled lair, several miles beneath the surface of the Earth, then you probably know that we're in the midst of a "Weather Event" here in the ol' U. S. of A. I mean, as winter storms go, this one seems pretty epic and insanely widespread.

Yesterday, while more than a thousand cars got stranded on Lakeshore Drive and part of the 103 yr. old roof blew off of Wrigley Field in Chicago, most of the state of Texas had to deal with rolling blackouts caused by our so-cold-we-can't-handle-it temperatures. In fact, the block where my office is located at work was so affected by the power outages, that we actually had to close the office and the store for the day. That, my friends, is a rare event.

It is super chilly again here today, and they're even predicting snow for this afternoon/evening. Not sure about whether or not the rolling blackouts will continue--getting conflicting info on that via the interwebs.

So, enough about that. The big news is: I'm on vacation. WHOOT!! I guess that's why I woke up and was unable to go back to sleep--excitement. Dah is coming to stay with The Geej, and BH and I are embarking on a loooooong roadtrip this morning to far southwest Texas for a few days of R&R in the desert near Big Bend. Yesterday's windfall of time was kind of awesome because we were able to get our shopping done and start prepping for the trip. The house we're renting is going to be about 80 miles from the nearest grocery store, so we had to plan accordingly. I'm taking ye olde laptop with me, so you can expect photos to come.

Remember about a month ago when I posted about how excited I was about my new boss? Well, guess what: Now I have another new boss. That makes my 10th person I've reported to in a little over 11 years. Sigh. I am hopeful about this new reporting situation, but I'm simply sick to death of being tossed around like a hot potato. It just makes you feel unwanted after a while.

Oh, I had a birthday. On Sunday I turned forty fucking two. It was an uneventful day, really. It was gorgeous outside (sunny! 80 degrees!) so we took the convertible out to the lake and had lunch with Dah and her Man at this nice, newish restaurant with incredible views. It was really nice.

And Not to be too whiny, but birthdays have become a serious bummer for me. They just remind me how much of my life has already passed, and how few of my dreams I've actually realized. (Cue the sad trombone.) Again, sigh.

So yeah, VACATION!! Also, I got a new iPHONE 4!! THAT I LOVE!! It's via work, but I still had to kick in $200 for it b/c it was an "out of cycle" upgrade. But I don't care. Totally worth it. BH--who is not a big fan of technology to begin with--gets annoyed with me playing with it all the time. But I just can't help myself!!

Okay, my alarm--the one that was just now supposed to be waking me up--just went off. That means I've got to finish packing and get ready to roll (after I take The Geej to school, that is).

More soon.

No comments: