Tuesday, April 17, 2007

You're welcome, Mom.

When my maternal grandmother passed away suddenly 8 years ago, my mom and her siblings had the unenviable task of going and cleaning out Grandma's stuff from the house of her husband. I say "house of her husband" on purpose because my grandmother had remarried late in life (after being divorced from my jackass grandfather for 30+ years) to a widower, and had sold her house and most of the stuff in it, and had moved into his house where he'd lived with his former wife and raised their kids, etc. So, even though she lived there for 10 years, it always felt like we were formal visitors when my mom and all of my grandmother's other progeny came to call (rather than like family who could lounge around, raid the fridge, change the channel on the t.v., etc.).

Even though it was a dismal task, my mom and her sisters had a pretty good time unearthing all of my grandma's weird shit. Like most people who were raised dirt ass poor in The Depression, my grandmother never EVER threw anything away. So my they found boxes and bags and other types of containers FULL of half-used, sort of empty bath and body products. Make-up from the 60s. Hundreds of perfume samples and bottles of hotel toiletries. Medicine bottles so old that the liquid had evaporated and the copy had completely worn off of the labels. Mounds and mounds of pantyhose with runners in them. Shoes that had never been worn. Clothes from previous decades that still had tags on them. You get the idea.

I guess because my mom is a)the sibling who lived the closest to Grandma's house and b) had room to store it, she ended up with most of this shit. Why they did not throw the vast majority of it out remains a mystery.


I guess it shouldn't have been much of a surprise because, as they say, the apple doth not fall far from the tree.

Case in point: A few years back, I was visiting my mom and stepfather in the Pine Curtain, and I was examining her pantry. There were things in there that were so expired that I'm pretty sure they presented a public health risk, but the BEST one that I found was a box of "Chicken Cacciatore" mix that I had bought when I was living in my first apartment in college. In 1988. Somehow, it made its way to my mom's pantry, and had lived there comfortably until the new Millennium. And don't even get me started on her spice cabinet. Wow. I found shit in there that had labels written in calligraphy in what I'm pretty sure was Middle English.

When my mom moved from her house in the Pine Curtain (where she'd lived since 1983) to the Hill Country in late 2005, I thought, "Finally!! She'll finally be forced to clean out all of Grandma's old bullshit AND face the facts that she's got a lot of scary old stuff that she needs to jettison as well."

Fast forward to this past weekend.

I was alone with The Geej at my mom's house on Saturday night. The baby was asleep, nothing was on t.v., and I was bored. So, I decided to get nosy. The guest room that is more or less "my room" when I go to her house has its own attached bathroom. Within this bathroom is ooooooodles of storage, including a big, walk-in closet that is practically empty. And then there are the shelves full of plastic bins. I knew these bins held band-aids, extra soap and the like, but like I said, I was feeling nosy, so I decided to see what else they held inside. When I did so, I was visited by the ghost of my grandmother.


Exhibit A:

This is the treasure trove of stuff that I pulled out of the bins that either had clearly marked expiration dates that had come and gone many moons ago or were so clearly decades old, they deserved culling.

Exhibit B:


Oh look! This dietary supplement just turned 10 years old! It'll be entering the 5th grade this fall. Congrats!

Exhibit C:

Remember when "Giorgio, Beverly Hills" was a big deal? It was about the same time that "Dynasty" was #1 in the ratings. (Fun fact: My mom also still has a yellow and white striped "Giorgio of Beverly Hills" beach towel that I'm pretty sure she got with a coupon from "Parade" magazine.)

Exhibits D and E:

I have SO many questions about these products: "Was there really weasel oil in these things, or was it just a clever marketing ploy because, hey, what's more compelling than weasel oil that you can put on your face!?" "Was the 'Rose Marie' mentioned in the the 'Collection By..." line the same Rose Marie that wore the little bows in her hair on the Dick VanDyke show? And if so, how involved WAS she in the 'Oil of Mink' R&D process?" "What the fuck is a 'Moist Cote'?"

Exhibit F:

No label. No idea. Too scared to open and try and figure it out.


Exhibit G:
You've used "Dawn Mist" deodorant, right? No? [Seriously, where the fuck did this come from and why the hell did she have THREE of them?]


Exhibit H:
'Member back in 7th grade when you would've killed a kitten just to get the latest pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans to wear on your skinny, pre-pubescent ass when you went to the skating rink on Friday night and couples skated to "Babe" by Styx? And remember how Gloria Vanderbilt branding was, like, everywhere and all you wanted to do was get your hands on anything with that signature or those initials or that swan emblazoned on it? And then she tried to go mass market and started selling her shit at K-Mart and crapped away any cache and desirability her brand had and then she couldn't give that shit away on the street? Well, my mom still has this little gem from before Gloria's fall from grace: a stained--but still full--"Eau de Toilette" sample of the scent of Ms. Vanderbilt. So very, very sad.

Exhibit I:



Yeah...judging from the graphics, I'm pretty sure this is from about 1967.

Exhibit J: I love to use MOISTURIZER on my face before I drink my SOFT DRINK and listen to my MP3 MUSIC FILES while writing in my journal with my INK PEN. Why, I ask you. WHY did she keep this in the first place, then move this 300 miles to her new house, and then pack it in a precious storage bin?!!

Jeez.

I got a big, black trash bag and dumped all this shit in there and it's now in a landfill somewhere. The sad part? I only managed to empty one plastic bin. There's still so much SHIT in that closet. Even sadder? You should see my garage and my bathroom cabinets.

As I said, the apple doth not far fall...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so very entertaining. And you are singin' to the choir.

Badger said...

Is that a STORK on the deodorant bottle? The hell? It looks like insect repellent.

Karla said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

I like the part where you drink your SOFT DRINK.

And ohmigod do I remember the GV obsession. I could not afford the real denim ones, but we manged to find some bright orange GV's on sale so I got those instead. I was so proud of those damned orange pants. and, yeah, I skated in them. Me and my size 9 13 year old ass.....sigh.

blackbird said...

moist cote.
oh
my
god.
I can't stop.
I can't breathe.

La Turista said...

I'm pretty sure that ginormous bottle of aloe vera is mine. So I'm now blaming my skin cancer on your mother.

Anonymous said...

At one grandmother's, I was served brisket from the freezer that was older than me. And I was about 20 at the time. Remember when New Coke came out and the ensuing frenzy? No problem for us because my grandmother had cases and cases of Old Coke to tide us over until the Coca Cola company came to its senses.
Other grandmother? Hundreds and hundreds of brand new pillowcases. Also an entire bedroom full of all kinds of gifts. Graduation gifts (50 wallets, pen sets etc.) underwear for grandkids, pajamas in all sized and MILLIONS MORE OF Pillowcases with drawn work on them.
And then? We found a $10 bill in one of the wallets. And then? A $20 in one of the embossed address books. And then? A $10 bill in one of the pillowcase sets. Oh crap. She was not losing her mind too much, she was just getting gifts ready for the next 100 years of graduates from Breckenridge High, Breckenridge, TX. And some kids from Ranger High too if she played canasta with their grandparents. Or bridge.
Made the process of cleaning that stuff out pretty tricky.
Oh, and the OTHER grandmother had slips and petticoats in all girls' sizes in all lengths (like 100 of them) because she was convinced that none of her grand daughters' mothers' made us wear slips. She was pretty much right. And she always wanted us to have one when we were at her house. Little hussies that we were. She also always said my panties had the "grey grunge" and she would bleach the hell out of them, wonder aloud how my mom managed to get my underpants so dingy, and then provided new ones. Under a slip, of course.
Oh, and my Great Uncle R.L! We found stuff in his cabinets that, honest to God, came from snake oil trucks. Weirdest stuff you've ever seen in your life with LONG descriptions of what they would cure. One was a set of graduated bullet-like things that you put up your butt. Well, I say "bullet-like" but when you got to the last few, let's just say we had to start wondering about Uncle R.L.
They cured piles, hemorrhoids, constipation, anxiety, leprosy on and on.
But maybe not gout because all I remember Uncle R.L. ever say was, "Hey hey -- don't touch the feet!" as I walked by. Gout.

Anonymous said...

Heh. My mom is not a pack rat...but my dad is. His major qualification in purchasing his last house was that it had a 30 x 40 foot SHOP (in addition to a garage, mind you) so he could have room for all of his stuff. With him, it's tools and "tool supplies" (you know. nails. screws. wood.) Seriously, he has nails that probably have been around since before I was born. My mom, on the other hand, will throw away anything but photographs and quilts and fabric. She's married to packrat #2, and it makes her insane....

Anonymous said...

OK. After my grandmother died, we cleaned out her attic. Not only did she save EVERY magazine that she ever received, but she also apparently thought she could find a use for the empty Jello boxes she collected by the dozens.

Oh, and, remember when colored toilet paper was discontinued? Well my grandmother must have gotten wind of the approaching ban because there were hundreds of rolls of blue toilet paper in the attic.

Lane

SUS said...

I can't believe that you threw that perfectly good stuff out!!!

Seriously, I have stuff in my bathroom cabinets that have been packed up and moved many, many times (since college)? Yikes. My parents and I cleaned out my Aunt Babe's place a few years back. I had the unenviable task of cleaning out the fridge, where I found a baggie of about 50 butter pats (between pieces of wax paper) from 50 doggie bags from The Waterfalls Diner. Still... all that perfectly good butter...

Me said...

Eeeek! Reminds me of the Kraft parmesan cheese in my high school boyfriend's fridge. Not sure when his mother purchased it, but it had expired eight years earlier. And this was in 1985 or '86. That shit was BROWN.

-Eileen :)