Monday, April 30, 2007

Karla May, MIA

Internets, it appears that I'm about to be totally missing in action.

Tomorrow begins a 2 1/2 day conference at work hosted by yours truly. It's a big effin' deal. 60 people will be attending from all over the country, and it's more or less my "debut" as Team Leader of my team. It's a highly important meeting for my team as well because it will be our first meeting of this sort in over two years, and it will provide a real opportunity to finally shake off the ghost of our former Team Leader who did shitheaps of political damage with a lot of these folks before she hightailed it out of here. We've all been prepping for this sucker for what feels like eons, and now it's finally here. It goes all day tomorrow, then there's a group event in the evening, all day Wednesday, and until noon on Thursday.

Then, Thursday afternoon, The Geej, Dah, and I get on a plane and head for the beach. Thank God. I need a break, and a change of scenery will be very nice as well.

All of this is to say that I may be a bit absent from the blog-o-sphere for the coming week. In the meantime, do yourself a favor and check out some of the new links I've added on the right and spend some quality time contemplating the following chart:
You're welcome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would first like to say a thank you to my friends and family members that have stood the test of time and the embarrassment of association. None of this would have been in my dreams without the encouragement, prodding, probing, and innate lack of foresight. Appreciate it all over you.

I guess it was sometime back in the early- to mid-nineties that soils came into my life. Stool has been part of my life since the late 60's. It was latter that I realized the connection between the two.

To make a long story short:

In the field of soil science, one uses a handy (yet quite expense) color chart called the Munsell Soil Color Chart (see the following link for further discussion, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system ) to describe the color of a soil ped. This chart is based on a three dimensional system of color description. Although I find the Bristol Stool Chart interesting, it is only two dimensional, at best. As everyone knows, stool characterization involves more than a brief note about sausage, snakes and easy passage. That chart almost makes the stool look like milk chocolate. Almost tasty.

One of the neat aspects of the Munsell Soil Color Chart is the latter addition of the gleyed pages that are used for certain types of wetland soils descriptions. If you can say that you have hit the gleyed pages of the Munsell color chart, then you and everyone else knows that you have done something special. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gley_soil.

Of course, the description of a soil or stool color is first based on the matrix component of the sample. What makes a stool sample interesting is what is going on with the mottles (check out page 26 of the USCOE wetlands delineation manual for a brief concept development, http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/wetlands/pdfs/wlman87.pdf).

And this is only one of the additional dimensions of stool.

Me said...

Yummy!

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the conference, I'm sure it will go smoothly. And enjoy your well-deserved break.

Eileen :)

Anonymous said...

I went MIA without notice. Your way is better. You will be missed.

By the way, thanks for the poop chart. It will come in handy. Somewhere. I feel sure.

Karla said...

Good luck you poo poo head.

Btw, Julia is going to send you a picture I took for you (with her camera) when we were in london this weekend. I think you will get the point.....it's from a bathroom wall in a pub.

Jaye Joseph said...

Type 2.

La Turista said...

Well, as you know, the lights are usually off, so I have no idea where I might fall on the chart.

And where the hell did anonymous come from?

julie said...

That's all I get? A chart? Where's the handy lexicon of what it means and dietary suggestions to make it to our porcelain goal?