Monday, April 09, 2007

How 'bout a quickie?

I've got a jillion things to do before I leave for South Carolina in the morning, but I just realized that I hadn't posted in days and started feeling guilty, so here I am. Procrastinating. Like I always do.

Mom's back from Thailand. Seems like she had a good time although I think she and her sister were probably about ready to throttle each other by the time it was all said and done. I can't wait to hear all of her stories and see her photos (if she actually took any). All I've really learned thus far is that their hotel was awesome, they ate some amazing food, and that the Thai people are "the prettiest of the Orientals."

This weekend was weird. Geej and I went to mom's empty house Friday afternoon to spend the night, mostly for a change of scenery, but also to give her poor, lonely cat some company. Then, HOLY SLEET STORMS, it went nuts on Saturday and sleeted heavily on us the whole way home.

The Easter Bunny paid The Geej a visit and left a small basket of candy and a few little toys, and I quickly discovered that the girl goes totally OCD when it comes to candy. If I heard the word "candy" come out of her mouth once (as in, "Can I have some candy?" "Where's my candy?" "Can I look at my candy?" "Can I hold my candy?" "Hey--who moved my candy?"), I heard it 7 trillion times. I finally had to hide the damn basket from her and threaten her with throwing the whole haul away if I heard the "c" word one. more. time. I know, I'm a bitch, but really... She gets a couple of pieces a day, and that's plenty. But believe me, next year it's all about the toys--and maybe like one piece of candy.

I saw Willem Defoe at Whole Foods last Thursday. He was parked next to me, loading his car trunk with groceries. He's actually quite handsome in real life, even if he was sporting some bizarre mandals.

"Reno 911" and "The Sopranos" have returned. Thank you, Jesus.

My tax refund direct deposited in to my bank account on Friday. Thank you, Lord.

Mr. Wonderful booked a trip and is coming for a visit on the 20th. I'm so happy!!

Tomorrow night I'm having cocktails at the Charleston home of my ex-boss from my days in Chicago. And when I say "Charleston home", I mean in addition to her other homes. And by "homes" I mean mansions. As in across the street from (one of ) Ted Turner's home(s) and on the National Historic Register. I've been there before, and it's hands down, one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever been in. Built in the 1700s. Three stories. Lovingly restored. Tasteful, elegant (not pretentious) decor. Beautiful gardens. Blocks from the waterfront. Just breathtaking.

Okay, I'll try to blog from the road and take lots of photos. But I ain't makin' no promises.

3 comments:

Sinda said...

Hey, my sister saw Willem Dafoe there too - random. But totally Austin.

Have a fab trip!

Karla said...

You ex boss sounds amazingly posh.....

Karla May said...

Oh yes, Karla. She's the bizomb. A total role model in unpretentious class.

And the candy OCD? It's worse. The Geej's first words out of her mouth this morning: "Is Dah coming today?"

Second words: "Can I have some candy?"

Good LORD!!