Monday, January 08, 2007

"Math is hard."--Barbie and Karla May

I blame it on Mrs. Blankenship and House Bill 72.

I had always been good at math and been in gifted and talented or advanced classes as long as they'd been offering such a thing. That is, until I drank the deadly cocktail of 9th grade algebra + a shitty, impatient teacher. To cut her a wee bit of slack, she may not have been shitty or impatient if it hadn't been for the Texas legislature's recent passing of HB 72, better known as the "no pass, no play" bill (and the beginning of the "teach for the test" bullshit the Texas public school system can't rid itself of today). You see, besides making sure athletes had to have passing grades in order to take the field (which should've been happening all along, but hey, this is Texas, and we love our football!!), one of the things this bill did was determine these "essential elements" for every grade, every class. These were things that teachers HAD to cover in any given school year, and if they didn't (and couldn't prove through their templatized lesson plans and statewide test scores that they'd done so), they could lose their jobs and the funding for entire school districts could suffer.

Maybe I've got the facts wrong, but this is the way it was explained to me when I dared to fall behind in 9th grade algebra. There were concepts in algebra that I just could NOT get. This was very alarming and stressful to me, as I'd never EVER struggled--even slightly--in any other classes before. Except for P.E., but that's because I was a spaz.

But I digress...

I fell behind and would raise my hand to ask for a problem to be explained or re-explained, and Mrs. Blankenship wouldn't even try to hide her exasperation with me. "Come ON, Karla May. You're holding up the class. This is an essential element, and we've got to cover it today. This train has left the station, and the rest of us can't wait around on the caboose." That's right people: the bad permed bitch called me a "caboose" in front of the entire class. More than once. I was fourteen and mortified. She made me feel stupid. Really, really stupid. I finally just quit raising my hand, and cried through my homework every night. I struggled through the rest of the year, and barely managed a "B." I ended 9th grade absolutely math-o-phobic and wanting to disembowel Mrs. Blankenship and the entire state legislature.

The next year was geometry, which I was dreading. But at least it was "normal" math, not advanced math anymore. So now I was with other kids who might hate math and be just as dumb as me. Perhaps that meant I wouldn't be the only "caboose" in class. But something magical and totaly unexpected happened: I got geometry. Somehow the spatial relationships and proofs made perfect sense to me, and I sailed through class with an easy A. Fuck you, essential elements. Karla May was back, and confident. I loved geometry, and didn't feel like a huge dumbass anymore.

Then came Algebra II, and of course I found myself back in the conceptual Hell that I'd thought I'd left behind in 9th grade. And why? Because I'd never really learned Algebra I in any real way, plus I was scared shitless of it. So I spent yet another year crying through my homework and freaking the fuck out while the rest of my friends were mastering Trig and Calculus. My caboose ass somehow managed to squeak a "B" out of Algebra II, but just barely.

My senior year? I took "computer math," which was some BASIC programming on first generation Apple computers. The class was filled with potheads and jocks, and served as the last nail in the coffin of my one time love affair with math.

Fast forward to my (second) senior year in college. I met with my graduation counselor at the beginning of the school year to make sure I'd covered all of my graduation requirements--my "essential elements" if you will--and guess what: I lacked a math credit. Yep, it's just like those recurring nightmares you have where you've suddenly found out you have a test and realized you never went to the class. FUCK. ME. I was a fucking math-o-phobic English/Drama double major with a bad case of senior-itis. I could barely do the math required to balance my checkbook--even with a calculator. And now I was going to have to take a fucking MATH class to graduate when I hadn't taken math since 11th grade?! Jesus H. Christ. My counselor calmly advised me to take the misleadingly titled "Applicable Math for Liberal Arts Majors." I thought, "Oh awesome! I'm going to learn how to do my taxes and figure out how much I should invest in my 401(k)! Yipee!" But guess what kids--it was algebra. Straight up. And to put the mustard on top of this shit sandwich, it was taught by an Italian T.A. whose accent was so thick he sounded like one of the Mario brothers, and I couldn't understand a goddamned word he said. God it sucked. Again, I busted my ass to just try and pass the fucker. The only smart thing I did during this time was schedule to take the GRE because I figured, hey, I'd better take that thing when I was in the throes of a semester that included a math class because, as soon as that fucking semester was done, I planned on hitting "Erase" and forgetting everything I'd learned and/or bonging myself into oblivion.

But again, I digress...

Fast forward about 80 years to the present day: I STILL fucking hate math. Everyone who knows me knows this. Don't ever ask me to to figure out how to split a bill at a restaurant. I don't count change, so you could pretty much rob me blind, and I wouldn't know it. I haven't balanced my checkbook in over a decade, and I've still never done my own taxes.

Today, Jaye and our friend Jimmy and I were trying to figure out how to split the bill at lunch. For some reason, I was the one with the pen and paper trying to figure who owed what before tip after tax. Once again, I was in Mrs. Blankenship's class, afraid to raise my hand. But at least I wasn't the only one. It took the three of us about 20 minutes to figure it out, and we even had a calculator!! Our waiter actually asked if we'd been drinking because we all seemed so confused.

So congratulations, public education system. And fuck you, Mrs. Blankenship, wherever you are.

10 comments:

Badger said...

Dude! I was on the exact same math schedule as you all through high school. Except senior year, in ADDITION to computer math, I had to take Trig/EA. Which I sucked at in ways that until then hadn't even been invented yet. I don't think ANY of my proofs worked the whole entire year. I have no idea how I passed that fucker.

I am only just now learning math FOR REAL, and you know why? Because my fifth grader is teaching it to me. They teach that shit SO much better now, at least up here in RRISD, and it FINALLY makes sense. When my 10 year old explains it. Yeah.

Jaye Joseph said...

It was a serious "incident" in the restaurant today. My math schedule was off from yours by a year because I flunked algebra freshman year because the girls I went to HS with in Florida were such bitches. I was too afraid to go to school half the time. And when I did? I was too busy actin' all dumb and shit so they wouldn't hate me.

Then we moved so I took Algebra again with all the 9th graders and slower 10th graders while I was in honors classes for everything else. Cool. Florida still sucks.

Anonymous said...

I totally have math anxiety! I realized this when I applied for a salesperson position at the Metropolitan Museum of Art giftshop, and had to take a math test---simple stuff like figuring out tax and adding and subtracting---but when I sat down to take the test my hands got all sweaty and I started freaking. That's when I knew that probably much of my problems with math might stem from the fear of the failing grade.

I did *OK* in algebra, but sucked at geometry---to many theories and rules to memorize. To this day the only one I remember is the theory of transitive equality.

I took computer math my senior year too (Basic, Cobol and Fortran). I might have been easier if I didn't try to figure out everything ON PAPER! It's really easy to fail if you forget a comma somewhere. And this proves that not only was I math-stupid, but I was common sense stupid too.

La Turista said...

I loved Algebra I, cause I'm a freak like that, but I HATED Geometry. Did. Not. Get. It. My Algebra II teacher? Yeah - she used to seat the class according to our last test scores - lowest to highest, in order, front to back. So you always knew who the "caboose" was. Total bitch. I had a tutor that year. And senior year, I took one quiz in Trig, got a 60, and cried to my counselor until she let me get out and take a clothing and textiles class instead. I made an awesome pair of Jams.

And as for your college class, at least you got to take that human sexuality class and History of RAWK with me that semester! Farley, Farley, Farley ...

Karla said...

I failed algebra. Twice. I failed geometry AND got caught cheating. I almost did not graduate high school because of math.

I won an award for being the best mathemetician in my WHOLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL when I was 11. I even was put in an accelerated class for "mental gymnasts" where we did math in our heads.

Fast forward to today. I have had actual jobs where I did the bookkeeping. I ROCK at bookkeeping. I ROCK at basic, day to day fundamental math. I can figure out percentages in my head in mere seconds, and I rather enjoy the whole figuring out the finances process.

But algebra? Geometry (besides, like, area and shit?) Forget it. Can't STAND it. I get the willies just hinking about it.

I had to take a math class in college, as well, called introduction to mathematics. Like you I got caught in a situation where I needed a math credit. The first exam I got an F, because it was algebra. The second exam was for bookkeeping and for figuring mortgages and stuff, I got an A. Passed the class with a high C.

I fully blame the teaching to the test system for making me a math idiot. because I think I have basic talent...but they teach you away from that......

Lee said...

A very funny woman used to write a column for the Chronicle called "Ask Bud." When the whole "Math is hard" Barbie controversy arose, she wrote, "What's the big deal? They're lucky I didn't design that damn doll. It would have said, 'Math makes my tits hurt. Let's go out in the parking lot and smoke some crack!'"

Karla May said...

God I'm so glad I'm not the only one who had "issues" with math.

But I notice it's only the ladies who are relating here.

Hmmm...

Could it be that pretty much only chicks read this tripe? Or could it be that the men who do didn't have such issues because, well, they're guys and they're more or less expected to be good at math.

Fess up, fellers!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to tell you something...
I had exactly the opposite experience. I sucked at Math so much in junior high and had a horrible teacher who ridiculed and, frankly, didn't teach. So I thought I was horrible in math.
Until 9th grade, that it. And, I'm gonna say it... At private school.
I had a math tutor during the summer before my freshman year since I'd been deemed to be an ignoramus in math. Pretty ineffectual. Then my freshman year in high school, I had a retired colonel in the U.S. freakin' army who had never ever taught before. I shook, I shivered and I LEARNED. He knew how terrified I was.
And then came my first test. And I cried and gnashed my teeth beforehand. And went to his office when I didn't catch the stuff in class. During his office hours. In high school. The next day, he came to the school for dinner and sidled up to me, let me sweat it out a bit, and then said, "You better get your application ready for MIT." Geometry was much harder for me but I plodded through. Then back to Algebra - big fat A. Then PreCal and Calculus. You see, that first teacher taught. He really, really taught. Without an education degree. I will never forget that as long as I live.

Anonymous said...

Never really had an issue with math as a difficult subject to grasp or execute. I did, however, have issues with whether it interested me at any particular moment. I just never cared about subjects during classtime.

I have checked various math books out from the library on my own time. Interesting stuff. I always liked the concept of infinity plus one.

Dan the Man

Lee said...

Oh, I had trouble at math too. Once I got to the geo-trig stuff it started tripping me up. Despite the fact that my dad is an accountant, I was doomed to become a professional writer early on. So it's not just the ladies. And my older daughter is showing some proficiency for numbers -- she's only in first grade and has already learned her multiplication tables up to 12s (thanks to "Schoolhouse Rock"). She seems pretty fascinated by math.