Sunday, January 28, 2007

I have real excuses, I promise.

I haven't posted in a while not because I don't love you (you know I do), but because I have been even busier than normal, which until this week, I didn't think was possible. A brief update:

I've been having to prepare for/do the job reviews for the folks who work for me. It's my first time doing this, so I'm taking it very seriously.

I also had to have MY job review this past week (and do all the preparation therein) which, I'm happy to say, resulted in a raise. Huzzah!

We're hiring a new person on to our team, so I've been dealing with the resume influx, phone interviews, and rejections that are all a part of that. At first, we opened up internally only, and out of the 40k people who work for my company, we haven't found anyone who fits the bill yet. (Yes, we're that picky.) So as of Friday, it was opened up to the outside world, and the resumes are coming in fast and furious.

After a week of being away from the office (MLK Day + ICE STORM '07+ Trip to Colorado), I was playing major catch up this past week. And tomorrow (1/29) is my only day in the office THIS week b/c I'm going to a conference in Vegas from Tues. - Fri. I've got so much to do to get ready to head outta town, it's not funny.

Yesterday was my mom's birthday, and I did a lot to get ready for it--bought some KICK ASS gifts (really, I went all out. We didn't really do Christmas for each other this year, and she's done SO much for me, I figured she deserved it), secured a babysitter, and took her out to a very fancy restaurant last night. It was fun.

The Geej has been fighting a cold all week, coughing and producing buckets 'o snot. Today, the cold finally won, resulting in a 103.5 fever, and a very miserable little girl. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she bounces back before I have to leave town because I'll feel like the 2nd shittiest mom in the world (the 1st is Britney Spears) if I have to leave my sick child to go to freakin' Vegas.

She's doing great with the potty training, by the way (the Geej, not Britney). She had one accident this week at school, and she still wears pull-ups for nap and sleeping, but other than that, it's all big girl panties, all the time.

I pulled about 7 million pounds of weeds in my back yard yesterday and barely made a dent. Fucking weeds.

I have been CONSUMED with reading "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. It had been recommended to my by several friends, and I finally bought it when I was stuck in the Denver Airport. Oh my GOD, it's good. As soon as I finish it, I'm going to buy this guy's book "Issac's Storm" which came out a few years ago and which I understand is fantastic. His writing style and this genre (historical nonfiction) were made for me.

Tuesday also happens to be my birthday. Honestly, I could give a shit. I don't know why, but having 38 stare me in the face is not a great feeling. Oh well, hopefully I'll win some money at the craps tables and have a good meal in Sin City that night.

I haven't chewed gum in over 2 weeks, and my TMJ has gotten MUCH better. I crave gum like a junkie, but thus far, I've managed to resist falling off the wagon.

Blah, blah, blah.

So there you have it. My posts will most likely be sporadic this week what with the craziness and traveling and all. But I'll write when I can.

2 comments:

Karla said...

Other folks fight their smoking addictions and you have a gum addiction....damn you're healthy.

Happy birthday, by the way. I never seem to be there for yours, I hope next year this is not the case....38 ain't so bad, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Erik Larsen?! What a strange coincidence...

I can't believe you mentioned your birthday - I was going to suprise and amaze you with my memory by posting happy birthday wishes for you tonight. Well, I still wish you a very happy birthday!

Love, Lane