Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dispatches from Writing Camp: Day 3, Part 1

I ordered a fan for my room from Campus Services, it made a huge difference in the depth and quality of my sleep last night. I woke up around 5:30 to pee, and it was actually chilly in my room. When I returned to bed after my trip to the bathroom, I heard a faint, unfamiliar sound outside my open windows: soft, steady rain. I drifted back to sleep in complete relaxed peace.

It wasn't raining when I woke up, but the low clouds made if feel like it might at any moment. I skipped breakfast, opting instead to eat a piece of fruit in my room and take my time reading the stories that we were going to be workshopping in my class. They were both exceptionally good, and again, very different from one another.

At 9am, I went to a lecture by Mary Syzbist on the visual composition of poetry (interesting and curiousity-sparking) and then, after, to my workshop session.

I can't tell you what these sessions do for my brain. It's like I can actually feel dormant pieces of my mind awakening and shaking off the dust. The muscle memory is there, and it is strong. Using it makes me feel a bit high.

Lunch (a sandwich and salad) with classmates, and then back to my room for some email checking. And then I did something I doubt I'll do again during the rest of writing camp: I skipped the 2 - 4pm lectures and took a really spectacular nap. I did this because, a) I was sort of feeling lazy and b) I felt like I needed to rest up for what I'm pretty sure is going to be a longish night. You see, my friend Michelle is picking me up at 6:30, and we're going to dinner and then to see Gillian Welch at The Roseland. Not sure what time I'll get back, but when I do, it'll be time for to sneak a shower and get my arse in bed.

After my nap, I went to the participant readings at the outdoor ampitheater to support a few of my classmates and my friend from Ausitn, Lisa, who is here. About an hour in to the readings, as Lisa was at the podium and reading a passage from her novel in which it was raining, the skies above the ampitheater opened up, as if on cue. We all scattered, unsure where to regroup. I felt bad for her and for those who hadn't yet read, but it was time to head back to my room to prepare for my "date" with Michelle anyway.

More later...WITH PICTURES!

No comments: