Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Is it really May 15th?

I ask you Internets: Where the hell is this year going? School's nearly out. It's feeling pretty summer-y outside. I've already had two sunburns. And I'd swear, just yesterday it was Christmas. Cripes.

I have nothing interestingn or substantial to tell you (as if I ever do), so you may want to do yourself a favor and just close your browser now. Go ahead. Shut 'er down. Because if you don't, you're going to have to read about boring-ass shit like this:

My hair!
Ya'll, I had literally, gone longer than I ever have before between dye jobs/haircuts since I started coloring this rat's nest of mine way back in 2002. And it was ugly. Scratch that: it was FUGLY. My roots were substantial enough that not one, but two straight, male coworkers had commented on them. And one of these fuckers actually works for me, so I could've like fired his ass for telling me ostensibly how crappy my hair looked, but I didn't because, truth is, he was right. I'd WANTED to get my hairs did for a long time, but I was so damn busy and couldn't ever make my schedule jive with my hairdresser's until today. I snuck out and took a very long lunch and, voila, I'm a new woman. I'd been wearing my hair in ponytails for about 3 weeks because it was so scraggly, but no more. My hair's now the color of a ripe plum, and I'm super relieved. And do I feel guilty about skipping out on work for nearly 3 hours to get this done? No, because I just got through doing nearly 2 hours of work at home. So there you go.

T.V.!
Did you see "The Sopranos" this week? Holy fucking shit. I did NOT see that coming. I can't believe there are only 3 episodes left. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to end it. I can't wait.


Also, I had high hopes for a new show called "Fat Man Stuck In Internet" on AdultSwim, but I DVR-ed it, and it sucked.


But the season finale of "Reno: 911"? Awesome.


Music!
I downloaded the brand spankin' new Rufus Wainwright today and have only given it a listen-through once so far, but oh my god, that man's voice. I got chills numerous times and even got misty eyed at one point. I can't wait to get to know this album well enough to croon along.

Work!
I swear, I'm about to die of meeting-itis. I'm being meetinged to death and I can't get any actual work done. I have no idea what to do about it, but I'm going nucking futs. I have grown to hate Outlook and my Outlook calendar. I mean, I fucking loathe it with a passion. The only good thing is that I schedule myself for blocks of time and put "DO NOT SCHEDULE" on my calendar so that I can have at least 2 hours a day at my desk to get some things crossed off of my ever-growing "To Do" list. If it were the Old Karla May, you know, the one without a kid, I'd be staying until 6:30 or 7:00pm each night, just to keep my head above water, but as it is, I'm beginning to drown.

Food!
Remember that awesome stir-fry I told you about the other night? Well, I'm a dork, so I took a photo of it while I was cooking. Damn it was good--asparagus, seitan, baby bok choy, zucchini, red onion, shitake, carrots, snow pea sprouts, etc. It made so much, that Geej and I ate it for dinner one night, I ate leftovers the next night, and then I still ended up trashing at least another serving of it. One thing I forgot to mention about stir-fry night: I taught the Geej to eat edamame. She LOVED it. I made a game out of it: See if you can pop the peas out of the pod. She tried doing it in her mouth (no luck), but then switched to her fingers, and had a blast. She ended up eating a shitload of the stuff, and asking if I would cook "Uhmamay" again. But of course.

Speaking of food, after my hair appt., I grabbed a VERY good (but expensive) portabella and artichoke panini from this swanky new place on South Congress (I fucking REFUSE to call that area SoCo, by the way). It was quite good, but I certainly didn't feel like I was in Austin when I was shopping there.

Assholes!
Also, I spotted this vanity plate while down in the South Congress 'hood:

In case you're wondering, "Westside Lexus" is a dealership in Houston. I was gonna guess Dallas, but same difference really.

And R.I.P., Jerry Falwell, you smug, self-righteous bastard.

Geej!
I forgot to wish all my mom buddies a happy Mother's Day on Sunday. I hope yours was nice. Mine was very uneventful, unless you count the following exchange as "an event":


[In the car.]


Geej: [From the backseat] Here, Mommy.


Me: [Looking back to see her pointing her finger at me with something nasty on the end of it] Is that a booger?!


Geej: Yes.


Me: Do you need a tissue?


Geej: Yes.


Me: [Frantically searching through my purse for a kleenex with one hand while driving with another; I finally get the tissue, and grab the booger off of her finger.] There! Gross, honey! Next time, ask for a tissue BEFORE you pick your booger out of your nose, okay?


Geej: Okay. [Pauses a moment, then proudly proclaims] But I didn't eat it!!

I guess that's a gift, now that I think about it.

No comments: