Monday, May 07, 2007

I swear I'm gonna write about our trip soon, but first I must pose a question:

Why oh why do (most) people who own beach houses/condos feel the need to decorate them in such a ghastly way?

First: You really don't HAVE to go with a lighthouse/sea shell/nautical theme if you don't want to. We're already at the beach, so it's sort of redundant.

Second: Why all the horrible silk floral arrangements? All they do is collect dust and look terribly depressing--like someone's untended grave. Just don't do it.

Third: If you're going to spend the dough to update your condo with really nice ceramic tile, sisal rugs, new cabinetry, and silestone countertops, why the HELL don't you do something about the ghastly wallpaper in the master bedroom, the master bath, and the second bath. And just a hint--if the wallpaper is peeling off in big-ass sheets, maybe it's time to get rid of it altogether.

Fourth: Some sort of window coverings besides sheer drapes might be appropriate since this is a vacation spot and most people would like to be able to sleep in a bit later than normal.

Fifth: Rattan furniture? Really?

Sixth: Why not go ahead and splurge on a) a mattress cover and b) a fitted sheet rather than putting a flat sheet on the bottom, tucking it in, and calling it a day.

All in all, our place was nice. It was clean, and quiet, had a fabulous view (see below), and the grounds were lovely. It's just that the way things were done in our particular condo were kind of...half ass? Tacky?

5 comments:

Jaye Joseph said...

That's really funny because it's so true. Beach Condo Shiek. It's all the rage, don't you know?

La Turista said...

But did you at least get to have cocktails with the Golden Girls on the lanai?

Sinda said...

They're all like that. My MIL has rented a house down there for the last 4 years and each was more tacky than the last. Glad to know I'm not the only one disturbed!

Karla said...

I've never been to a beach "property" that was not decorated badly.
They ALL are horrible.
My theory? One person decorated them ALL en masse in 1983 and that was that.

No more changes until 2033.
Now go dust the flowers.

Bookhart said...

Every place we've stayed in Port A has looked the same exaccle way. My theory? Is that if I had a condo on the beach that was rented out to people I didn't even know? Some of whom would be Australians on their honeymoon and have sex on my couch and on the floor and up against my wicker table? (I'll explain why I know this one day--but no, it did not involve me personally). I'd buy ALL my furnishings at Wicker Mart, and throw in the most uncomfortable pull-out sofas too.