Sunday, September 11, 2005

Things I saw on my walk today...

I went for a walk this morning: Strapped on the iPod, and started exploring my mom's new neighborhood in Horseshoe Bay. It's a good walking/biking neighborhood despite the fact that there are no sidewalks (the roads are so quiet that you don't need them). I haven't been able to go on a walk alone since the Geej entered the picture, and it's been just too flippin' hot and humid to take her on many walks with me. So, I took advantage of the energy provided by a good night's sleep and Mom being willing to baby-watch and took off.

The houses are all nice and well-groomed. Some of them around the bend from Mom's back to a golf course that is almost unreal looking in its greenness. I have no idea how many deer I saw--over forty for sure. Bucks, does, and fawns were everywhere, leisurely grazing and keeping one eye on me as I walked by. I saw a big dead snake in the middle of the road that look like it was probably pretty formidable before it got squashed by a car. I saw very little trash along the road aside from the occasional beer can and a bunch of cigarette butts. I walked past many empty lots that had "SOLD" signs on them with the owners names and current places of residence: "Yvette and Jimmy Alderon, Del Rio, TX." I saw owners' names from Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio, etc. Mostly the new owners were from Austin or San Antonio. Thankfully, very few that I saw were from Houston. Or worse yet, Dallas.
During my whole walk, the sky was very gray and looked like it would rain at any moment, and there was a light, pleasant breeze. It was just two miles, and it wasn't a picturesque as the walk the Texpatriate recently took, but it was wonderfully relaxing. (Next time, I'll take my camera.)
It's strange but nice that Mom now lives so close. It's just an hour away, but feels a bit like going on vacation due to the lovely ride there and the relaxed, villiage-like vibe of it all. I hope she really comes to love her new neighborhood. I already do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put Your Show Notes in Your ID3 Tags
Here's a little podcasting tip I picked up. If you're producing a podcast, put your show notes in the comments field of your ID3 tags.
Hi, I was just checking out blogs and surfing through some and found you! I like your blog. I will book mark it and come back soon. If you are interested, go see my birthday gift related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.birthday gift

Karla said...

Dude, you got spammed.

Your walk sounds great. I love walking. There's nothig like it for just moving and thinking and letting your feet and your mind wander.

Tell your mom hi and congrats for me!