Monday, March 19, 2007

Quick legal update.

Just in case you were wondering, there's a case going before the U.S. Supreme Court today regarding an 18 year old in Juno, Alaska who unfurled a banner during an Olympic torch parade ceremony thing that read "Bong Hits for Jesus." He was suspended from school for this, and claimed it was bullshit because he was exercising his right to free speech (which were guaranteed for students 40 years ago during school segregation protests). Now the case has escalated to the Supreme Court, despite the fact that the kid and his father offered to drop everything if the school would sponsor an assembly where the ACLU could come and outline just what students' rights are when it comes to free speech. (The principal, who is apparently a dick on the scale of the principal in The Breakfast Club wouldn't go for it.)

Just the idea of those stodgy old justices having to utter the words "bong hits" in the hallowed halls of the Supreme Court makes me smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that this is pointless in the scheme at large, it is a waste of time and money. I also think that the ACLU is a waste of time and money. Winning a legal battle does not equate with winning a battle of ideas. It only serves to puff up another lawyer.

I was once suspended from school because I went home instead of going to a school pep rally. It wasn't because of what I said, I just didn't want to listen to what the people at school had to say.

I rode out my suspension with my conscience intact.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAA.

Jesus deserves some bong hits after putting up with some of His followers....