Saturday, December 04, 2004

Joy where you find it.

I was on my way back into town from San Antonio this morning, and I took the Riverside exit. There are some apartments called "Riverview" on this road, and they had big "NOW LEASING" signs and red and blue helium filled balloons along their fence. At the gate where the apartment entrance is located, there were 5 ft. columns of red and blue balloons tied to the fence. Except that it was uneven. One of the balloon columns was missing. A couple of hundred yards down the from the apartment entrance, walking along the sidewalk was a big man with an uneven gait. It appeared that he was in his late 40's, and was both mentally and physically handicapped. He had swiped the missing column of red and blue balloons and was now proudly and unashamedly making off with them. It made me smile and broke my heart, all at the same time.

No comments: