Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In which I reveal that I truly am an Artist (with a capital "A").

When The Geej went on Christmas/New Year's break from school, they sent home these 1 ft. tall paper doll cutout things with us with a note that said: "When we reconvene, we'll be talking about our sense of selves. Please create a 'paper doll' with an image of your child as you think s/he is. Represent him/her completely. Happy Holidays."

Um...okay. Sure.

Quite frankly, after two weeks of holidays and toddler shuffling and working and blowing my knee out, etc. the whole paper doll think had COMPLETELY slipped my mind. I show up back at school on Tuesday, and of course, there is a WALL FULL of paper dolls that you can tell they spent their whole holiday time creating. There's paint pen. There are sequins. There are stickers. There are posed/printed photos. There is actual cloth material, yarn and mother fucking brick-a-brack.

Fuck.

So tonight, totally post facto, here's what I came up with for The Geej:



The photo sucks, but the real life version kicks MUCH ass. If I'd had a little bit of forethought, I would've added glued on seeds and beans and pasta, but I had to work with what I had.

I'm fairly sure she'll be the only one with a Loteria crown in her class.

I'll go ahead and admit it: I ain't crafty. At all.

5 comments:

Keetha said...

That is awesome! You must be the coolest mom ever.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. You know, Picasso loved to work in collage. It's a perfect medium in my opinion---especially when expressing something so complex as, say, your daughter.

La Turista said...

Holla at me next time, yo. You know I love to get all up in them crafts! You did well - how can you go wrong with that cute of a subject? Edible.

Karla said...

That is awesome indeed. I love her crown.

However, I've always thought of you as more of a fartist. The Fartistic type, if you will.

Anonymous said...

You go MamaK. Surely it was the most creative paper doll in the class...