Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph people. I'm going nucking futs.

Remember in The Shining when Jack Nicholson goes all crazy when he's cooped up in that creepy hotel with his creepy wife and creepy kid and that creepy Scatman Corothers and he starts having drinks in the hotel bar with an imaginary bartender and there are those creepy twins and the hallway full of blood and that creepy old lady in the bathtub and Jack ends up running around with a hatchet wanting to hack up everyone in his path? Yeah. I'm beginning to relate to Jack...

It's Wednesday morning, and I'm beginning Day Five of ICE STORM 'O7 by myself with a very chatty, very under-my-feet, very bored toddler. Lord help me. Yesterday, my office building was closed for the first time in my seven years of working there. It's still closed until at least noon today. But I swear to you, if they open at noon, The Geej and I will be there by 12:01. I need adult human contact before I go totally insane. I love her completely, but there's only so much I can deal with alone.

Oh and ya'll, if this fucking ice shit keeps me from leaving for Colorado to see Mr. Wonderful tomorrow afternoon, you'd better avoid me at all costs because there will be innocent people harmed.

Here are some cool things that have happened during our isolation--

1) Frito Pie made with turkey chili and real Fritos.
2) The Geej wearing Big Girl Panties about 80% of the time for the first time ever.
3) This:
4) Really good afternoon naps.

5) Earl all puffed up and in snuggle overdrive:

6) Potato soup:
7) Getting to wear things knitted for me by my friends:
8) Finally filing my fingernails and reading really good books (and my "really good" I mean "shitty"):
9) Finally watching movies that have been on my TiFaux since March '05 (yes, I'm that lame):
10) Walking outside at night and having it be utterly quiet except for that weird creaky sound you hear when the wind goes through the icy branches of trees.

11) Clearing out waaaaaaaaay too much of my iTunes Shopping Cart:

12) This:
But even with all that, if this shit doesn't end soon, you can look for me on the evening news. (And that's assuming they'll break in to their round-the-clock freaked out weather coverage.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My office is opening today at 11. I really want to go, but figure I should work from home to "help" Steven cope.

Best moments from yesterday:
- I blow up my new balance ball (a Christmas gift) and Steven rolls it around, chasing Buster The Cat while singing the theme to "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
- Watching last DVD of "24" season 2 (what a shitshow season BTW) with Steven last night, and when Jack Bauer's SUV crashes into the LA industrial cement drainage ditch, we both simultaneously start singing "Greased Lightning."
- Discovering during a failed naptime mission that we need to lower Lucy's crib mattress. All of a sudden our little monkey can sit up! She was smiling, pressing the button on her rainforest music box, and suddenly the crib walls looked very low.

Anonymous said...

This entertained me for about 6 mintues:
http://projectgay.blogspot.com/2007/01/sharpen-your-claws-kittens.html

Badger said...

Yeah, I'm pretty over it, too. At least DH went to work today, so now I only have TWO bored kids to deal with over here.