Monday, January 22, 2007

Colorado in January.

Another fabulous trip to see Mr. Wonderful. Actually, it felt like two trips since we spent the first night in Denver at the swanky Hotel Monaco and having a really, really good dinner at a place called Jax Fish House. It was clear and very cold outside, but most of the Christmas decorations were still up and downtown Denver was quite lovely.

The next day, it was sunny and not very cold--low 40s. We took our time getting out of town and heading to his little town in the northeast corner of the state.

That night, his two boys came over and we ate pizza and played board games. It was fun. They're great kiddos, and it's really special getting to know them better. We all went to bed super early that night, and I could NOT get to sleep because it was so freakin' quiet.

Next morning, we got up pretty early and went to the neighboring town to watch the older boy play in a basketball game. His team won, and the game was over way more quickly than I expected. Mr. W and I grabbed some breakfast at a little restaurant called--I kid you not--T.J. Bummer's, and then we started the drive back home as it began to snow. The longer we drove, the heavier the snow became. By the time we got back home, it was coming down hard and steady. It never stopped.

That night it was just Mr. W and me, and we cooked dinner and watched a movie while the snow piled up outside. By the morning, over 5 in. had fallen, and there was no sign of it letting up. We left for the airport about 2 hours earlier than we would've otherwise because it was getting pretty bad out there. All the way to the airport I kept thinking, "There is no way I'm getting out of here today. I'm going to be one of those poor bastards they show on the news, sleeping on the floor of the airport." We finally got to Denver International, and I discovered my flight had only been delayed by an hour. Not bad.

Mr. W got back on the road pretty quickly because it was only getting worse out there. My flight got delayed a couple of more times, but we ended up actually getting the hell out of there, and I only ended up being about 2.5 hours later getting home than I'd originally planned.

You gotta hand it to the folks at that airport--the fact that they kept the planes moving at all is a minor miracle.

Here are some photos from the weekend:

Mr. W's doggy dog, Shiloh. She is SO sweet. And we totally bonded this weekend. Here she's like, "Could you please turn the light off? I'm sweepy." Awww...


My sexy-as-hell toe socks given to me by the lovely Texpatriate. Seriously, any guy who can still find me attractive while I'm wearing these is pretty amazing. Or insane.

My sweet man shoveling snow so we'd be able to walk from the house to his car without busting our asses.

Yours truly standing in the middle of Main Street. Yes, you read that right: Main Street.

It's not every day that you fill up with gas next to one of these. The thing at this interstate gas station that I DIDN'T manage to capture with my camera was the chubby dude in the very effeminate fur jacket (think "rabbit fur jacket" from 5th grade, and you get the idea) driving a tricked out stupid looking school-bus yellow truck with a "I sold my sperm on E-Bay" bumper sticker.

Oh yes we did.

What I looked at at the airport for many hours.

3 comments:

Karla said...

Dude...toe socks are THE BOMB. Like, fer reals.

They are HOT and no LIE.

La Turista said...

If I had to get on a plane in weather like that, I would have gone for the pink Snowballs.

Anonymous said...

Ok so did you tell him you need noise, like a fan, to sleep? Y'all need to discuss the sleep thing...V V important! Sounds and looks like a great trip!!

Love, Lane