Friday, August 18, 2006

And life goes on...

Crazy week, that's all I can say.

Monday: Pre-visit at the New School
Tuesday: Oncologist visit* and job interview. Champagne consumption. Great dinner with Dah. Wednesday: First day in new "Team Leader" position. Find out dear friend has beaten cancer. Riding on total fumes. Pure exhuastion overcomes me.
Thursday: Geej's last day at Old School. Meltdown.
Friday: Road trip to Dallas with Geej and Dah to attend a friend's wedding.

*More on that now.

So 'member when I told ya'll about the "area of concern" in my abodomen that they found back in May? Well I had my follow up CT a couple of weeks ago, and then the follow up with the Ocologist on Tuesday. She told me that, basically, this thing isn't getting any smaller (in fact, it's gotten a bit larger--expanded by about 1 cm. each direction), and because the kind of cancer I had is so fucking aggressive in its recurrence rate, she wants to go in and find out what the Hell it is. Like, week after next. Oy. She's going to try to do her investimigating laproscropically, but she said, "Because of where it's located, I may have to cut you open. Vertically."

Christ, ya'll.

If that happens, it's going to look like I have a big freakin' crucifix on my flabby white abodomen. Sexy. It'll also mean the difference between a 3 -4 day recuperation versus a 3 to 4 week recuperation. I just ain't got that kind of time, folks.

But I'll be able to find out whether or not I have a tumor, so I guess I should shut up.

But enough about me. Let's experience The Geej's last day at Old School, shall we?


On the way to school, everything was hunky dory. Eating raisins and kicking it in the car seat. All the way there, we talked about the fact that we were going to Old School for the last time, and that she was going to have to hug her friends and teachers a whole lot today since we'd be saying goodbye. I don't think she was really listening to me. She was too busy rocking out to "Crazy" and Howe Gelb's "But I Did Not" (which, if you think about it, should be the anthem for every 2 year old).




And shortly thereafter, here she is, pleased as punch to be at school. I mean, think what you think about daycare: this is a happy, loved child. And the prospect of having to remove her from this place that she loves and is confident and understood in is waaaaaaaay harder on me than it is on her. I mean, she's going to a great place, but still... She's been here since she was nine months old. And her leaving marks a pretty significant milestone in her young life.

I have other photos, of course. But Blogger's decided that I've posted enough for the night. So the rest of the story will have to wait until later.

I'll write more when I get back from Big D.

By the way: Thanks to all of you who posted "Congrats" comments re: my promotion. Means a lot.

Someday, I will let you buy me champagne. Lucky freaks...

6 comments:

Badger said...

Holy shit, dude. I hope whatever that is in your abdomen turns out to be a big hunk of Nothing Serious.

Geej is still the cuteness!

Me said...

Oh damn! Lots of healing thoughts and prayers headed your way. DO keep me posted, please. Have a great weekend- I sure will- having a party tomorrow night and will have a drink in your honor.

Anonymous said...

Love ya Marla. Congrats on your promotion. You rock.
Love to Geej!

Mommygoth said...

Good luck with the doc - pretty scarly stuff!

The Geej will be okay. Miss K really struggled for about a week when we switched her to a new school, but then she was totally fine. Now I can't get her to leave in the afternoons.

Anonymous said...

hi mar mar
love you, i'm thinking of you and sending healthy communique's every moment. you deserve such great happiness, health, free stone massages and of course, that beautiful little girl. who loves you more than i can type.
xoxoxox

Bookhart said...

Anything you need while all this shit goes down, remember I'm right down the street.