Monday, August 28, 2006

Another (Mr.) Wonderful Weekend

Had a great time in northeastern Colorado visiting Mr. Wonderful and his two boys.

First off, let me say that the town that Mr. Wonderful lives in is not just small--it's microscopic. His town is surrounded by corn fields, millet fields, wheat fields, sugar beet fields, more corn fields, cow pastures, more cow pastures, and feed lots. It's mostly flat, but there are a few strategically placed hills that give way to some lovely vistas. The whole town takes up 1 square mile and has, literally, one stop light. It's one of those places where nobody locks their doors, people sleep with their windows open, and kids still ride their bikes everywhere with no worries whatsoever. (In case you're wondering, Mr. Wonderful lives there because of his job, which is rather specialized. He is, however, pretty done with the place, and looking to move. To Texas. To Central Texas.)

During my short trip I saw: lots of hawks, bison, antelope, a coyote and a llama. Oh, and lots and lots of cattle.

The weather there was pretty amazing, especially since I was coming from the fiery cauldron that is Texas in late August. The days were in the low 70s and breezy. At night, it got down into the mid-50s. Freakin' heaven, people. I even saw this wet stuff that falls from the sky!! I forget what it's called, but it was really awesome. And after the wet stuff fell, I saw this:

A double rainbow! Saw the whole thing, from beginning to pot o' gold. Really gorgeous.

Friday night, we went to the neighboring town (35 miles away, mind you) to go to...

THE DRIVE IN!! That's right, Internets. It was awesome. We drank bad wine out of styrofoam Sonic cups and watched "Talledega Nights" from the comfort of the front seat of his Toyota. The windows were cracked just enough to let the cool night air in. I enjoyed every second of it.

Saturday night, we went to the only bar in town, down in the basement of the VFW hall:

Yes, it was just as kick-ass as you might imagine. The people-watching was priceless. LOTS of disturbing dirty dancing done by hardcore farm folk to really bad music. Truly, a sight to behold. We were lucky because we were there on a special night. How do I know it was special? Well, there was a sign on the inside of the stall in the totally skanked out ladies room that read,

"Come on down to Millies Aug 26th and party!!!! Dance to Sound Connection from 9 to 1:30!! Gather up your friends and go!!! Must be 21!!! Picture I.D. required!!!"

With that many exclamation points, I've got to assume it was a big fucking deal, right? By the way "Sound Connection" was a man in his late 50s with a really loud sound system, some wacky disco lights, and a whole lot of really terrible music to play. Gretchen Wilson's "All Jacked Up," anyone?

It sucked to leave yesterday. Each time I hang out with Mr. Wonderful, it becomes harder and harder to leave him. I was a real baby about it. Not only did I not want to leave him, I didn't want to come back to the billion degree tinderbox of August. I missed the Geej like hell though. I was so happy to see her when I got home yesterday evening. Even if she did have a black eye.

I'll save that story for my next post...

4 comments:

La Turista said...

RB: Why would you want to listen to the stereo WHILE you're watching TV?
Cal: Cause I like to party.

Loved that GD movie. I saw it in the sprawling metropolis of Kerrville last weekend.

Shake-n-Bake, baby! Those should be our new CB handles.

Badger said...

Okay, that sounds amazing. You are so going to move away and leave us, aren't you?

And also, if you're the one who brought the rain back to Texas, THANK YOU!

And furthermore, my girl child started school this year with a black eye AND a fat lip. Oy.

Mommygoth said...

Okay, looking at the pictures, I'm gonna have to ask you - are you sure Mr. Wonderful isn't Clark Kent? That totally looks like Smallville, dude!

Glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

ah, the drive in.
you have good drive in karma karla may.
miss you and your beautiful face.
xo