Sunday, August 13, 2006

Weekend Recap.

[SHIT!! I had so many great photos to include along with this post, but FUCKING BLOGGER is, once again acting like a whiny jerk and not allowing me to post them. Grrrr....]

This was a nice weekend. Despite the absolutely sweltering heat. Ugh. I could bitch for like DAYS about that, but I won't. And we didn't allow it to get us down. We had a damn fine time.

Friday
I arrived home and received a love letter. In the mail. From someone I actually love. Wow. It was something, I tell ya. I've read it about 15 times since I opened it.
We gathered up our things and went over to the lovely Bookhart's house to commune with Malcontent Mama and another one of our baby-totin' friends (who doesn't blog...but should, because she's funny as shit). It was nice. 3 little girls and one scrumptious baby boy--all of them 3 and younger. We said we were gonna order Thai, but we managed to make dinner out of beer and wine and crackers with cheese, because that's how we roll, bitches!! (The kids were well fed, by the way. And Bookhart was the queen of providing me and The Geej with all of the stuff we managed to forget...swim diapers, swim suit, insect repellent, etc.). Can I tell you how much I love hanging out with my girls? I can't wait until a few years from now when we can just let the kids go nuts (without as much supervision as they currently require...you know, because they're wee) and REALLY get to visit with each other. But it's still pretty great.

Saturday
I had the supreme delight of telling a just-woken-up Geej, "Guess what we're going to do after breakfast...we're going to go see the Biscuit Brothers...WITH DAH!" I thought she was going to explode. She knew EXACTLY what I was saying, and was simply beside herself. She's obsessed with the Biscuit Brothers show on our local PBS station. And I gotta say, for someone who really HATES most kid-related stuff, I love them too. They're great. Not sappy or cutesy. Very clever. Not nauseating. The first time we went to see them, it was at the Austin Children's Museum, and it was SUPER crowded but great, but she'd only seen their show once, so really didn't "get it." Not so this time. She talked about "Bisit Bruss" all the way to the show, while we were getting our tickets, while we were seated waiting for the show to start. Then when they actually took the stage? She looks at me, wide-eyed, and says, "NO!" She was freaked. But she got over it and was singing and clapping along in no time. It was great because there were a lot of my friends (and Geej's buddies) there as well. And the best part? After the show, we went and chowed down at Luby's. I've said it before: It's a Texas thing...
Saturday afternoon Dah watched The Geej while I ran errands in the blazing heat. Got gas. Old Navy. Petsmart. Ross Dress for Less. OfficeMax. Target. Yep, I hit 'em all.

Sunday
The Geej woke up expecting that we'd be going to be seeing the Bisit Bruss again. Instead, we went to a local park to meet up with some of the other parents/kiddos who are starting at The Geej's new school on the 21st. It was awesome--totally orchestrated by one of the moms, and totally relaxed. It was great to see our kids play together and to talk about how happy we all are to have found this place for our progeny. They were cool, but not hipper-than-thou. And not glad asses. I hate glad asses. One of them has already started to orchestrate a "post-first-day-drop-off-go-get-coffee" session. This is going to be good people.
After the park, we went and shopped at "ma wuhk" (mommy's work), then came home and lunched (us, and all the babies) and napped like freaks.

The late afternoon was spent outside, watering plants, swinging, and eating ice cream sammiches.

In the middle of all of this, I downloaded an assload of songs from iTunes. It had been a while, and I had a list built up in my head. Suffice it to say that my collection is no longer missing Bauhaus, Missing Persons, The Motels, and other 80s relics.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. An unsoliciated tip in case you're interested - I have the same issues when posting to my blog sometimes, so I found a workaround. When Blogger won't post photos, what you can do is load them into Photobucket (free account), then there is a Tag field that is generated for each photo you load into Photobucket. You can cut and paste that tag into the HTML of your post and viola! Pictures when Blogger's being a bitch about loading pictures. Word of warning, you may need to decrease the size of the pictures within Photobucket to 75 or 50% of their original size or it shows up funny in your blog - just use the Edit function in Photobucket to do this.

Anonymous said...

We almost went to see the Biscuit Brothers on Saturday too (my son turned 2 on 7/30), but didn't make plans early enough (or so I thought). Did you order your tickets in advance to pick up there? The Scottish Rite website makes it sound like they have very few tickets available at the door. Anyway, glad to hear it was fun; maybe we will go next Sat.

Lee said...

"This was a nice weekend. Despite the absolutely sweltering heat. Ugh. I could bitch for like DAYS about that, but I won't."

Yeah, I have reached the point of being utterly ready for summer to be over (too bad we still have a good two months of it left), but thank god we live in Austin and have Barton Springs and Deep Eddy Pool. Every community has swimming pools, but few have them as COLD as those two. I love my neighborhood pools, but when it gets over 100 like this, I'm spoiled — only those two ice buckets will do. Every time I go to BS or DE, I don't just get some temporary relief from the heat — I get truly chilled. Cooled off all the way to my core. I know Bookhart agrees with me — I ran into her and Her Majesty there last Saturday. I can't imagine living in any other Southern city without something comparable.

Karla May said...

Mandy,
I got my tix in advance over the phone, and then picked them up at will call. You should TOTALLY go if you get the chance. BTW--your son and The Geej share a birthday!!

Mommygoth said...

Ah, your taste in 80's music coincides with my own!

Sounds like you had a great time.

Nap Queen said...

I cannot go out because it is hot and I sweat at the drop of a hat. And I'm lazy :)

"Old Navy. Petsmart. Ross Dress for Less. OfficeMax. Target." Sounds like my kind of day!!!