Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hallefreakinlujah!

The Geej school crisis, although intense, is now over. The Montessori school I visited today was beyond phenomenal. Like night and day from the shithold St. Something's we went to on Monday. I'm very tired from two stress-filled sleepless nights of tossing and turning and worrying into the wee hours, so I'll just say this: This school is a god-send. I mean that. I feel like my grandmother--who was a lifelong educator and strongly believed in the importance of education--orchestrated this from heaven. Or maybe it was all your prayers and well-wishes. I don't know how else I can explain being in utter despair over the craptacular situation at St. Something's, and a little over 48 hours later, touring and getting a spot at one of the coolest, nicest, most amazing schools I've ever stepped foot in. The staff is WONDERFUL, and they're very excited to have The Geej among their students. I mean, they care, which in and of itself makes a world of difference in comparison with St. Something's.

Schools and daycares live and die by word of mouth. I've got a big mouth, and I've already told anyone who will listen about my crummy experience at St. Something's. I've even gotten the Geej's current school to remove it from their "recommended" list.

I've got lots more to write about, but I'm fighting a sore throat, and I'm so tired I can't see straight. So I'll leave you with this: One of the best things about the Geej turning two, is that she now knows how to say, "I love you, Mommy," and she tells me that randomly several times a day. It is just thrilling beyond belief. I can never get enough of it.

Okay, off to get ready for bed. Nighty night.

5 comments:

Nap Queen said...

Yay!!! As a former day care/preschool worker, I know what you mean about word of mouth. Everyone came to us by referral. I'm glad you found a place you love!!!

Oh, and I know about Grandmas in heaven coming through in a pinch. Mine has been gone for 10 years, but she helps me out all the time.

Nap Queen said...

I just checked out the St. Something's website, and OMG, I applied for a job there in college. I remember thinking the director was a total bitch. I found work elsewhere.

Badger said...

See? Told ya! The psychic vibes, they rarely lie to me.

Oh, and P.S. YAY!! So glad everything worked out!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog a few days ago and have enjoyed reading your archives. I myself am a Pine Curtain refugee living in Austin! I grew up in San Augustine (way more backwater than Longview) and came to Austin about 20 years ago to go to UT and never left! Anyway, my friend's children used to attend St. Something's, and she told me about how it slowly went downhill, the staff getting more and more apathetic and angry at the management, etc. Anyway, she took her kids out of there a couple of years ago because of the same issues you saw within the first day. My 2 year old goes to a Montessori school in central/west Austin that we love; I hope the Geej is as happy at her school as our son is. good luck!

Mommygoth said...

Hoorah! We went through a similar problem with Miss K's daycare situation, and it's always a nightmare. I mean, not like it's a big deal, right? Just where YOUR KID IS most of the day.