Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mangia!

I have always enjoyed cooking, but it has taken me a long time to be able to confidently "wing it" when it comes to preparing food. I've always loved trying out recipes, and can sit down and read a cookbook with  the dedication and zeal usually reserved for a riveting novel. So it's no surprise that it has been a somewhat lengthy process for me to become confident enough in my culinary abilities to just make up my own dishes rather than rely on slavishly following (to the 1/8th teaspoon) a recipe lying before me. But tonight I created something new, so I documented it so that I could share my triumph (or failure) with you nice people.

Well, luckily, it turned out to be quite delicious, so without futher ado, I'd like to introduce you to
Caprese Pie
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put in a store-bought, frozen pie crust, and let it cook for 10 mins. Get it out and let it cool on a wire rack. Take the oven temp down to 350 degrees.

While it's cooling thinly slice 2 large (or 3 small) Roma tomatoes, and enough sweet white onion to equal about 1/3 cup.

When the pie crust is cool, spread a thin layer of shredded mozzarella cheese across the bottom. (You can use vegan mozzarella if that's how you swing.)

Next, layer the sliced tomatoes on top of the cheese.
Season with dried oregano, course sea salt, and garlic pepper to taste.

Next, layer some whole, fresh basil leaves on top of the tomatoes.
After you're done with the basil, layer on the sliced onion.

After the onion, pile on a generous layer of fresh baby spinach.

Now drizzle a little olive oil (maybe 1 1/2 tablespoon or less) and some balsamic vinegar on top of the spinach. Season with a little more sea salt and garlic pepper.
And cover that bad boy with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella.

Holy crap, that looks good, right?

Stick your pie back in the oven (that's now at 350 degrees), and bake for about 35 minutes or until the cheese is golden-brownish.

Take it out of the oven and let cool on the wire rack for about 10 mins. before slicing and serving.

SO good, y'all.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

LittleSisterSnakebite said...

When I saw this, I told Susan that if she saw you first to tell you something very unkind, because now I HAVE to make this. So, thank you for delivering yet another conduit for cheese and pastry goodness to me. I totally needed that.

Emily said...

The very second we get tomatoes from our farm share (by the end of the month!) I'm going to make this. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I've been dying to make this. Today, while in Dallas, I went to WF & got all the ingredients. I see a Caprese Pie in my future tomorrow:-)

LCY