Saturday, November 08, 2008

The reason I haven't posted any photos from the wedding?

I don't have any. That's right: none.

My camera is totally broken and BH's was packed away in his luggage. And our event was so small and low-key, that we didn't hire a photographer. They're SO expensive, and honestly, I don't know any wedding photographers worth their salt who would've taken a 1 hr. gig. So we're patiently awaiting CDs of photos from the several people who were snapping away during the event itself. But I'll give you a written recap so that later, when I post the pictures, you'll have some frame of reference.

Our wedding was last Saturday, 11/1, Dia de los Muertos. It was at 11am and was held at the Historic French Legation in the lovely and simple Carriage House. The weather was gorgeous--sunny and warm--and the wedding itself was small: immediate family only, our kids, and my friend Julie (as my matron of honor) and her fiance, Rob. The Geej was the flower girl, and BH's brother was his best man. After the short (but very sweet) ceremony, we took some photos on the grounds and then headed to Moonshine for a luncheon in their neat little "Sunday House" room. It was all just perfect. At the end of lunch, BH and I changed into our traveling clothes and headed to the airport to go to Santa Fe for a few GLORIOUS days of rest and relaxation at a beautiful resort. Our plane, which stopped in Lubbock on the way to Albuquerque, was FILLED to the gills with Texas and Texas Tech fans headed to The Game. Yay.

But we eventually got to Albuquerque, got the rent car, drove to Santa Fe, checked in to the resort, then just barely made our reservations at a swanky (but unfortunately somewhat disappointing) restaurant. By the time it was all said and done, we were both completely wiped out. Luckily, the rest of our trip involved no schedules (except for a few excellent spa treatments for moi) and lots of chilling. The weather in Santa Fe was perfection (as it almost always is). Our room had a big balcony and a fireplace, both of which we made good use of. I would totally stay at this place again, however, it would be great if it was for longer than just 3 nights next time.

Got back on Election Day (we'd early voted), and got the Geej at school. I was so happy to see the little booger. Next day, I went to work and tried to aclimate, but felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of work that lay at my feet. That afternoon when I went to get the Geej from school, I walked in and looked at her, and knew she was sick--dark circles under her eyes, listless. Took her home and, sure enough, she had a pretty good fever and was coughing rather harshly. The fever came down with some children's Advil, but the I stayed home with her the next day because the fever was back--and higher. And this time, it wasn't coming down with the ibuprofen. So I got her in to see the doctor at the end of the day and the diagnosis? Walking pneumonia. Yowzah. This is only the second time she's ever been to the doctor for illness, so to say I was shocked at the diagnosis is an understatement.

So she and I have been stuck at home for FOUR DAYS nursing this sickness of hers. Good news is the fever is gone and the cough is almost kaput as well. The bad news is that "overwhelmed" feeling I was having at work last Wednesday? I am fearing the avalanche I can look forward to tomorrow at work.

I promise, as soon as I can, I will post wedding pictures. But hopefully some pictures from our trip will work in the meantime:

The grounds of the resort--

My handsome husband (which is still TOTALLY weird to say)--

See? I told you we had a fireplace--

The only photo of me taken during the entire honeymoon. Yep, that's how much I slept--


La Turista said...

Sorry about the Geej. Just be thankful it wasn't the Boogie Woogie Flu.

SUS said...

Congrats on the nuptials! Sorry about the pneumonia.

Shelia said...

Yay! I'm so happy for all of you! Congrats on finding the man of your dreams!

Sucks about the pneumonia... we had it twice this summer and I think I have it again, at this very moment, as I hack up a lung or two. Ugh.

hotpinksox said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see the pictures of the big day. And so glad to hear the Geej is on the mend.

Luann said...

Congrats Marla! Very happy for you!!!

toxomaman said...

Woo-hoo! Loads of good wishes for a long and happy union!