Monday, November 24, 2008

I sleep better when I'm organized.

I proved this statement by sleeping like a baby last night after an intensive day of cleaning/reorganizing my horrible, HORRIBLE closet. I mean, even The Geej had said to me recently, "Mommy, your closet is MESSY." And when a four year old calls something messy, you know it's got to be bad.

But it wasn't just my closet: my dresser(s) were in a total state of chaos as well. What this led to was me doing laundry, folding clothes, and then putting away everybody's stuff but my own. Instead, my clothes would just sit around in random piles all over the house until I eventually (and literally) wore them down. So yesterday, I took advantage of being Geej-free for the day and the fact that poor BH was out of the house working to spend around six hours cleaning out, weeding through, and reorganizing. That's right: I said 6 hours.

Here are some of the stats from the day:
  • Number of pairs of shoes thrown away = 8
  • Items found with tags still on them/never worn = 17
  • Bags of clothes ready to be taken to Safeplace = 3
  • Number of items I found on hangers from the dry cleaners I used while living in Chicago...NINE YEARS AGO = 2
  • Number of skirts discarded because I will never, ever be young enough or crazy enough to wear something that short in public again = 3
So yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself. And guess what, there are currently ZERO piles of clean clothes lying around because I have no room to put them away.

Now for some photographic evidence (La Turista, you may want to look away because you'll probably stroke out):
BEFORE


DURING:

AFTER:

Say it with me now people: Aaaahhhh...MUCH better. I was actually able to VACUUM the carpet in my closet (something I don't think I've done since I moved in nearly 3 years ago...YIKES)! And I can find things! Like, fast and shit!

And as if this weren't enough for one day, I sat down and did two hours' worth of work work yesterday evening so I could cross a few things off my never-ending "To Do" list.

Then I took a shower, read a magazine, and passed-the-hell-out. And 24 hours later? My closet is still clean and organized. Yay for me!!

7 comments:

La Turista said...

What I really think you need are some black shoes.

Jaye Joseph said...

Isn't that weird? I totally sleep better when everything is clean too. And you're making me realize how badly I need to organize my shoes, as well as need a new dresser. Damn you.

hotpinksox said...

Oh, it feels sooooo good. I recently replaced all my hangers with white plastic ones because I am crazy. There are no more wire hangers in my house!!!! (good thing I don't have children.)

Anonymous said...

Dude - I totally cleaned out my closet on Sunday too! It looks sweet, and I did some fancy organizing with my shoes AND vacuumed! yay us!

Moon said...

You're my new hero. If I don't get some organizing done soon, I won't be able to function.

Shelia said...

Ever consider doing this for cash? I'd totally pay you to do this in my house! I tend to keep up with my messes okay, it's my girls' mess that is UnGodly!

I do plan, over the Christmas break, to gut their rooms/dressers/closets/ under beds/etc. and while begging and crying ensues over every tiny scrap of paper or outgrown panties, the big purge will happen nonetheless.

OF course, that's the plan. We'll see what really happens! I'm sure it'll be worth blogging about!

Po said...

I totally agree!
Nothing's worse than trying to sleep when there is all sorts of chaos and clutter all about--- even if you can't see it in the darkness. You know it's there.