Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Stress-o-rama!!

So the Geej is having to leave her current daycare for a new school. Her current school is infant-focused, and only takes wee ones until they're 2. So last February, I went and toured a couple of contender schools, and landed on a school we'll call St. Something's. St. Something's seemed great when I toured it--very nice facility, good curriculum, happy-looking students, close proximity to work, reasonably priced, etc., so I signed her up for fall enrollment. All summer I've been dreading this transition because The Geej is very attached to her current school and happy as a little clam there.

To make a VERY long story as short as possible, yesterday morning I took Geej to the new school to begin transitioning her. I was going to do that every day this week--take her to the new school to play and get acquainted with it and her new teachers prior to dropping her off at her current school--so that when she started at St. Something's next Tuesday the 15th*, it wouldn't be a total shock to her system. (*The 15th also happens to be the day of my job interview and my follow-up appointment with the oncologist, by the way. Fuckin' A!)

We got to St. Something's, and within 10 minutes, I knew in my guts that there was no way I was going to send her to school there. To say that the "caregivers" were inattentive is being kind. They were lazy, disengaged, and downright surly. Hell, I wouldn't have left my dog at that fucking place, much less my daughter. It was all I could do to get us back in the car before I burst into tears. We got to her current school, walked in, and the teacher asked, "So how'd it go?" and I lost it again. It was horrible. And I didn't have a Plan B. So here it was August 7, and she needed a place to start by Sept. 1st. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I got to work (still in tears) quickly sent out an e-mail to all my homegirls saying "HELP!!" I needed recommendations, names, phone numbers, and connections. They came through in a major way (like they always do), and I spent yesterday afternoon calling a long list of schools and telling them my sad story.

Full.
Full.
Full.
Full. But we'll put you on the list. Your 4th.
Full.
Full until NEXT July.
Full.

You get the idea.

Finally, one of the schools I called had a recommendation for me: A new Montessori school that's opening up this month that has a pre-Montessori program for 2 yr. olds. Bingo. I called and they have 2 slots left for enrollment. I'm going to tour there tomorrow morning. I am VERY encouraged by the conversation I had with the director on the phone--it was the total opposite from the cold, "who gives a shit" treatment we received at St. Something's. Plus, I was going to eventually move the Geej into Montessori anyway, so if this works out, it could provide continuity until she goes to first grade.

Oh Internets, please say a collective prayer for me. Hopefully this whole St. Something's debacle will prove to be a blessing in disguise.

3 comments:

Badger said...

Oh dude. I am sending good thoughts you way. I have SO been there, with the crappy school and the bad vibes and that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. Ugh.

The new Montessori place sounds awesome, though! My psychic vibes are saying it's a go!

La Turista said...

Having just come through my own four year long school stress thing, I know how you feel. And I know it will all work out. If nothing else, there's always Kamp Tureestah.

Kelly R. said...

Girl, it seems that lately many of your blessings have been wearing disguises and this is probably another one. W and I are rooting for you! He came home today with war wounds on his face but his school is still cool. Sorry it was full. We would've loved having you in the 'hood.