Friday, December 15, 2006

Rest in peace, Ellen Melon.
June-ish, 1990 - December 15, 2006

She lived with me through 3 cross-country moves (9 different residences overall), 3 roommates, and one ex-husband. At different points, she also endured cohabitation with a Siberian Husky, a kitten named Dottie, another kitten named Earl, and a very curious baby named The Geej.

She lost the tip of her tail in a cat fight. She chased chipmunks when I lived in Birmingham. She rid our townhouse of mice during my first winter in Chicago. She flew on an airplane once. She used to put the Siberian Husky in his place even though he outweighed her by about 55 lbs. She liked corn and green beans and lunchmeat. She seriously dug catnip and sunspots. She was elegant and aloof, unless you really knew her. She had the greenest eyes I've ever seen.

In the 16 plus years that I had her with me, she stuck by me through so much. She was present for some of the best--and the worst--moments in my life. She was steady and calming.

I will always remember her. I will miss her. I love her.
Goodbye, sweet girl.

10 comments:

Sinda said...

Sad news - I'm so sorry.

Sinda

La Turista said...

That first picture is one of my favorites. And didn't she like spaghetti, too? What a dame ...

Karla said...

sweet kitty...she was always there for you and you were always there for her.

feel sad and remember her with love....big hugs from Norway...

Me said...

oh, km, i'm so sorry!

hugs from houston.

slightly hungover eileen X-)

Anonymous said...

ah karla may -
my arms are around you in a hug. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ellen Melon! I am SO sad and sorry. Andy and Madeline will miss her and so will I. Tuna? Turkey?

Love, Lane

Mags said...

From an owner of five of the little buggers...you have my deepest sympathy.

Anonymous said...

Even though it's best to let them go when they are old and not well...it's still heartbreaking. Give Earl and the Geej some extra squeezes.

hotpinksox said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news.

Anonymous said...

DAMN GURL