Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I know this was a bad idea...

Today I ended up working from home because an el grande water main break at the major downtown intersection where my office is located meant that there'd be no peeing or pooing in our building all day long. My bladder is, more or less, the size of a grape, so that wasn't going to cut it for me. Anyway, I used the opportunity to run up to Petsmart around lunchtime and stock up on Earl provisions. He was just about out of everything, and clearly he's about to starve to death.Well, while I was back there in the kitty section, I had to swing by and glance at the potential feline adoptees, right? I always do that. You know, just cruise by and say hi. But this time, this very nice woman who volunteers for the rescue group where these cats come from started talking to me, and I told her about Ellen, and the next thing you know--boom--I'm meeting two of the kitties in the "getting to know you" room.

WTF?

First up was Sheila, a 4 year old female calico. So mellow and pudgy and sweet, with green, green eyes.

Second was Zoot, a 1 year old tuxedo male with a fun personality and lots of affection.

Damnit! They were both wonderful.

I left there and thought about them all afternoon. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore, and took The Geej up to meet the kitties to see if there was any kind of magical sign that one or the other of them should come home with us. When I got there, I learned that Zoot had ALREADY BEEN ADOPTED!! I guess that made part of the decision for us. But The Geej wasn't feeling all that hot today (she'd been running a fever earlier that I'd kept at bay by alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol), so she was a tad bit underwhelmed by the whole experience. Once again, Sheila was sweet and playful, and better yet, she was not at all afraid of the baby. My impulse was to scoop her up and take her home with us. But I didn't.

I decided to sleep on it, but now I can get that kitty out of my mind. I'm not sure how that big, fat mama's boy (pictured above) would deal with having a new little sister, but I can tell he's lonely without grumpy, old Ellen to torment.

God, what should I do?!

6 comments:

Norma said...

You passed up a calico--sweet and lovely. Oh my.

The 10 most common resolutions. #11, never pass up a calico. Happy New Year, Norma.

Anonymous said...

...Go. Get. The. Kitty. ^..^

mama herbivore said...

go save the kitty NOW. or go save a kitty from a kill shelter. but if you get this one, you can name him bruce b/c he's wearing a tux, not a new jersey tuxedo, but a tux, nonetheless. so his name will be bruce. glad i can help. go get the damn cat!

Jessi said...

The kitty is calling your name! Don't let someone sweep this one away out from under you like they did the other...

Bonnie said...

Go get the kitty! You need that cat.

Karla said...

there is a furry belly that needs a rubbin'....earl baby...I'm all about the love for you!