Thursday, January 05, 2006

Hurting but happy.


Last night I went over to a friend of mine's from work. Her name is Patty, and she's a big ol' dyke, and she has the most fun group of big ol' dyke friends you'd ever want to meet. There was pizza and beer and wine and all of the stuff you need to help you through a very tense but wonderful football game. We watched. We drank. We yelled. And then, when Texas won in the final seconds of the game, we freaked the fuck out.

Let me back up and say that, as a rule, I don't care for sports. But college football is a totally different animal. I love it. I watched every game this season. I am a bigtime Longhorn fan. And not only because I'm an alumnus and not only because I live in Austin. But because the college football SPIRIT is so fun to be a part of. The rivalries are a blast. And you just feel like it really means something to the school and the students--unlike professional football, which I find sort of nauseating.

So anyway, at the end of Patty's street, you can get a view of the U.T. tower. We all ran down there and saw it glowing orange, and there were lots of neighbors out there and everyone was just so damn happy. Then a few of us piled in my car and went down to the Drag. Utter freakin' pandemonium. It was SO much fun--the most fun I've had in a very long time. People were just out of there minds with joy. And it wasn't that "let's fuck shit up" kind of energy, it was a "I'm so happy, and I just want to be around a bunch of other people who are happy" energy. Everyone was honking non-stop; windows were down and people were walking down the middle of the street slapping high fives with the drivers and passengers of the cars they passed. There were people my parents' age and then little kids and of course thousands of students. Every person down there had on burnt orange and was hooting and hollering like they'd just won the lottery. It was awesome.

I finally got home (much later than I'd planned on staying out...my poor babysitter), and passed the hell out. Today I am tired, stinky, and hungover as hell. But it was totally worth it.

So thank you, Longhorns. Thank you Vince Young. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

2 comments:

Karla said...

it totally rocked didn't it? I had a great time as well.....woooo!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ah, happy not destructive. i remember when the bulls won in chicago and everybody rioted with joy. we didn't go out for fear of carjacking. it was ludicrous!! xo mms