Monday, September 18, 2006

From the desk of Karla May

Well, I don't even know what day this is of my captivity. Total (trip 1 and trip 2)? Nineteen days. Just this go-round, I've been here since the 6th. To say I am frustrated, exhausted, and ready to GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE is a massive understatement.

This whole experience has humbled, humiliated, saddened and tortured me in ways I never knew imaginable. The long and short of it is that I came in for a (relatively) simple surgery on 8/30 (Trip 1). It went fine except there was the unforeseen complication of having to remove about a 10" portion of my colon. This sucked, mind you, but I was told that since you have like 750 feet of intestine/colon-y stuff in there, a missing foot or so was no big whoop.

So I get released from Trip 1 on Labor Day. I'm doing fine for a day or so, then WHAM! 104.2 degree fever and intense abdominal pain that literally defied description.

So they send me back to the ER at this place--my blood pressure is alarmingly low, I can't sit up or walk on my own, my fever's out of control--and re-admit me on 9/6. And I've been here fighting the infection of a lifetime since then. I've had some progress, but these moments are almost always followed by some ridiculously disappointing set back. Victories have been too few and too spread out to really see them. (Although, I suppose avoiding surgery that would've left me with a sick-as-hell temporary colostomy for 3-4 months should be considered a pretty big deal).

The food has sucked. My room has become like a prison cell, and my IV tower is like a literal ball and chain. The nursing staff on this floor--all of whom I've had as my caretakers at one point or another--vary wildly in skills and abilities. Thankfully, about 75% of them are good to very good, but that other 25% should look for something new to do because nursing is clearly not their gig.

Right now, it's 6:30 AM on Monday 9/18. I'm writing on a yellow pad the wonderful Mama Malcontent brought me for just such an occasion. (She also brought me a collage she made of Justin Timberlake pictures, with JT urging me to "get my sexy back and get well!")

I have two drains coming out of my abdomen, draining out icky, infected fluid. I'm hooked up to an almost constant supply of antibiotic fluids and (thankfully) painkillers that go in through a central PICC line in my upper, inner arm. I run a fever at least a couple of times a day.

My sides and back hurt immensely because of the amount of time I simply spend lying in bed. My legs haven't been shaved since late August. My back and chest are broken out in an ugly, itchy rash. I haven't gotten to hang with The Geej for more than 30 minutes at a time in weeks. And that promotion at work that I worked so hard for? THIS is how I'm spending my crucial first month. Damn, I hope my health insurance is good because there is seriously no imagining how much all of this fun is going to end up costing.

I am miserable, Internets. And I have no idea when I'm getting out of this place (this week, surely) or how long it's going to take me to be back to normal again. I don't have any recollection of what "normal" is anyway.

So even though I'm not there to moderate them, and post them right away, please feel free to post some comments. It'll give me something to look forward to reading when I finally get home. And please keep me in your thoughts. I just keep repeating the words "WELL," "STRENGTH," and "HOME" in my head over and over with hopes that somehow their positivity will impact what's going on.

Until next time--

Peace and health,
Karla May

P.S. Mad props to Mama Malcontent for doing these guest posts for me. Thanks gal!!

17 comments:

Badger said...

Oh dude. I HATE that you're going through this. You fucking rock for being able to hang in there without losing your mind. You're several degrees of magnitude stronger than I am.

I'm gonna do a remote pagan-style healing for you. That okay? Slapping some good health mojo on your ass can't hurt, right?

Karla said...

Dude, I tried calling you the past few days but always miss you.

You KNOW you are in my thoughts. I kind of feel like you are getting the physical manifestations of the mental hell I am feeling. I wish I could take on your pain and just feel it all at once......Seems more fair that way. We shouldn't both of us be down. The world needs one Karla May at her best to terrorize it properly.

I love you, gal, and wish I could be there to make you laugh until you fart.

Sinda said...

Oh, girl. Can I just say that you sound incredibly strong and well? I'm so glad you have friends like Lindsay and that your mom is nearby.

I've been checking up on you every day - here, Mama Malcontent's, Texpatriate's...wherever I might hear news. I am sure that with your determination you'll be out PRONTO!

Anonymous said...

Madd Props to you girlfriend. You are a fighter and a star. All the Franklins' thoughts are with you. You mean so much to us. BTW, now I know why all those Justin Timberlake CD covers were lying around cut to pieces! Peace and health to you, friend.

Oliver

Anonymous said...

Karla,
We need you back! Please let me know how I can help. I can make food (something tasty for The Geej and something that works for a low-colon diet? [I'll need hints for your new-but-temporary diet]).

I know that desire to feel 'boring normal' again. I hope you return to that state very soon. And the finances will work out, the job will still be there. I know it's going to be great.

Love, Susan

hotpinksox said...

Sending all my good thoughts and prayers your way.

Get well soon and hurry home!!!!

Kelly R. said...

Jeebus! This sucks so hard! I've been praying for you and rooting for you and watching for daily updates on your blob to find out what the hey is going on. I'd be happy to come over and shave your legs so let me know.

xo

La Turista said...

Dear Karla May,

So you've had "surgery" and an "infection," huh? Rrr-ight. Then I guess when we see you with a motionless ass and a set of high and tight tits, we'll just wink and nod accordingly. Don't worry - your secret is safe with us.

LYLAS,
LT

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. I'm sure you are in agony, not the least of which is from not being able to be with your beautiful daughter. Your "fans" out here that you don't even know are thinking of you. Hope you feel well soon and can go home!

Anonymous said...

I was worried that something like this was going on and now I see it's true! What a freaking nightmare. I am so sorry. I wish I could come visit you! And bring Ellen and Earl and Andy and Madeline! Hey guess who's coming to visit me this weekend! Jay, my Austin friend! I wish you could come. Please feel better soon and Justin will probably visit you. Love, Lane

Mags said...

Jiminy Xmas, what a horrible ordeal.

I curse the stupidfucking infection:

Out!
Out!
Begone with your little beastie selves!
You are not welcome in the colon of our friend!
(Only SHE can decide who is allowed in her colon!)

Be Well Soon! We miss you...

Anonymous said...

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I wish that I could do some fancy gris gris magic and make all of this go away.

I am sending volcanoes of get well thoughts your way.

And my word verification is ufhaun. In my head, I heard this way over the top gay voice saying You fa'awn. Which, I am absolutely sure is gay code for "you wicked hot fox".

Anonymous said...

Hello - I've been reading your blog for a few months. Please know even those of us who don't know you personally are thinking good thoughts for a quick recovery. Can't wait till your back and writing all about Geej and Mr. Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

KM-- Strength and well-wishings to you from Bookhart's and Karla's friend Clark.
So sorry you had to go through all this. I hope it is all over soon and you can begin to do things that will remind you what 'normal' is again.

Clark

Anonymous said...

Hey Karla May -

Maybe you'll remember me...way back from your Pharmaco days - a friend from the recruiting dept (ugh!). I have the son who was born with some heart problems back in 1993. He's still my one and only - doing well by the way; 13 years old - which makes me, well, all of us, uh, yeah, OLD. Anyway, sad but true, I am still here at the P (although I did leave for about a year then come back - but who cares - boring, very boring, trust me!)

But enough about me - a friend just told me about your hell! I hope you're freed and more importantly, back to the land of the living soon! I have been an occasional pine curtain browser for a couple years. You're always good for a laugh and a vicarious jaunt into the joys of single life (the Geej is adorable - but wow, big props to you for entering into motherhood alone!) So, anyway - hope this email cheers you up. You have many adoring fans such as myself who have chosen to remain anonymous so as not to insert our mundane selves into your entrancing life...anonymous that is until now - when, presumably you need a boost...so here's my run-on sentence boost for you. I think your fantastically funny and remember you as a great friend ("bet your bottom dollar" is forever ingrained in my memory - something about a mucus plug?).

Yeah, so anyway - hope you are better soon! Ironically, just the other day, I found a really random picture of the most glamorous MKC of 1993 (can you see it...big teal shoulder padded sweater with brightly colored oversize scarf?) Its actually a very good picture - we all wore that stuff and my god, its actually coming back (we ARE old!) I would attach it for your viewing pleasure if I were not so technically inept. Send me your regular email address if you'd like to check it out.
Take care - your long lost friend,
Becky

Bookhart said...

Your comments are up! Is that a good sign? I called your room several times today and had no answer and hoped, HOPED, that it meant that the room was empty and that you were on your way home.

Heal.

Me said...

Damn, girlfriend... I hope you are feeling better SOONEST. I've been checking in periodically, and I know I haven't been as communicative, I just don't know what the fuck to say except DAMN, this sucks. I had an infection after I had fibroids removed... stupidfuckingincisioninfection- foreign body reaction to the vicryl sutures. Ugh.

I hope Justin is helping you get your sexy back! hahahaha! I actually bought the CD the other day... a true guilty pleasure.

Take care, and I hope to hear from you when you are able.

xoxo,
E the J!