Monday, May 02, 2005

Why is it...?

That when we grow beyond childhood, all we want to do is sleep--Nap. Zone. Chill.--but when you're a baby, and get terribly sleepy, you fight it with every inch of your being?

The Geej and I are having sleep issues. That's a polite way of saying that she goes as crazy as a shithouse rat when it's even suggested to her that maybe it's time to get in the crib. She gives me all the signs: sleepy, red eyes that she's rubbimg, pulling on on of her ears, playing with her hair, chewing on her pajama sleeve, gazing at me with a semi-stoned look on her face...but when you head toward her room and start trying to wind her down for bed, she goes totally insane. I mean, inconsolable, heaving sobs. It's horrible.

Last night, for instance, she was wiped. She'd had a full day with only one decent nap (we had visitors during nap time #2). She'd been great all day. So around 9pm, I'm getting all of her sleep signals, and so we start our bedtime ritual. Suffice it to say that she didn't go to sleep until 10:20--after much crying and rocking and comforting. I don't know who it wears out more--me or her. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing, and like the 3-day ear-piercing squeal-fest that we had while we were in Vlad, this too shall pass. But in the meantime, I am beginning to hate bedtime as much as she does.

Other than that, things are going okay in mommyland. Tomorrow, we're going on our first car excursion together. Nothing big--to the bank and to drop off some film, safe drive-thru errands--but I'm wondering how she's going to do. She's not crazy about being strapped in to anything--her high chair, stroller, her swing--so I'm sure this is going to be tricky. Wish me luck...

1 comment:

Karla said...

Best of luck with the car excusrion. As for the sleep thing: I holler and scream when it's my turn to go down too. I might be tired, but ain't NOBODY tellin' me when to go down!
She'll mellow soon. It's all so new for her...and you. A big hug from cold rainy Norway.....