Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I think it's time for a bulleted post of randomalia.

  • It has been non-stop windy here for several days now, and it's sort of driving me crazy.
  • Maybe that's why I've had a banging headache for nearly three days now. Banging, sometimes sharp pain. However, doesn't feel like allergies. Feels more like small demons with pitchforks.
  • Work has been super busy, part of which has been due to me playing an eternal game of catch up due to being out of the office so much recently, but part of which is due to the fact that we've got a lot going on.
  • The happiest piece of mail I've received recently notified me that I've reached the "annual out-of-pocket maximum" for my medical insurance.
  • I am wildly uneven. I know it's part of me adjusting to these meds that will be a part of my life from now on, but the unpredictability of it is, literally, maddening. One day, so ill feeling and fatigued that I can't get out of bed and am paralyzed by anxiety attacks and crying jags. Next day, fine but speedy and unable to concentrate.
  • I had some REALLY good falafel today.
  • BH is teaching The Geej how to play checkers. It started when we were in Longview for my uncle's funeral, but the lessons continue. Too cute.
  • I've been sucked into ancestry.com. It's like a puzzle that you can find yourself TOTALLY lost in for hours. And somehow, even though you're spending WAY too much time on the computer, it doesn't feel like a total waste of time.
  • I discovered that one of my ancestors was named "Hogue". What a kick ass, Texas cowboy name.
  • I also had another ancestor who was a prisoner of war in the Civil War (fighting for the South, natch).
  • Found out I'm on the "wating list" for the writing workshop I applied for this summer. You know what? I'd rather them just tell me "no" outright than keep me hanging with some sliver of hope like that.
  • I'm bummed because I was REALLY looking forward to going to that workshop for about 10 days and, like a dumbass, I put all my eggs in that one basket, so I don't have a back-up plan.
  • However, I've been writing quite a bit, which has felt really good.
  • If I don't get into this writing workshop, should I just go off for a few days by myself on some adventure this summer and focus on writing? If so, where?
  • I have sworn off "Chinese" buffets forever.
  • This whole oil spill in the gulf thing sickens me. However, if you want to get REALLY sick, do some research on how much oil is spilled into the ocean/lakes/rivers on annual basis, just from basic human carelessness.
  • It felt good to see all of those wonderfully funny, talented women on the most recent Saturday Night Live (hosted by Betty White). By far, it was the funniest episode they've had in a long time, and the fact that it showcased all of those hilarious broads made me happy. Women can be funny, damnit! Really REALLY funny!!
  • I'm heading to a conference in Chicago on Sunday. I'll be there until Thursday. I'm hoping to have dinner with some dear, old friends, but I'm bummed to be traveling totally alone.
  • However, my hotel bathroom willl have a SOAKING TUB. So, YAY!!
  • God DANG I need a haircut and my roots done. I look like some meth wench from a long lost episode of "Cops" except that I'm not super skinny, and I still have all my teeth.
  • But at least I got a mani/pedi this past weekend (a gift to myself on Mother's Day).
  • And that required me to shave my legs, which hadn't been done since, um, early April.
  • Interesting factoid: My uncle and my grandmother are buried in the same cemetary as Karen Silkwood.
  • Cannot BELIEVE that The Geej will be all done with Kindergarten in a matter of weeks. What! The! FUCK?!
  • One of her teachers gave her a journal to encourage her to a) practice her actual handwriting and b) have a place to express her feelings and draw. You should SEE this thing. I'm going to treasure it forever.
That's it for now. Coming soon: Lots of Random Photos!! Stay tuned!!

1 comment:

La Turista said...

Hello Austin! We are METH WENCH!

Also, JoJo just totally fell down the stairs. NO cat-like reflexes. Period.