Thursday, January 31, 2008

Quick post before I pass the Hell out.

I am a zombie. Not the brain-eating kind, but the kind that is braindead from lack of rest and too much work.
This week (which isn't even over yet) has kicked my old butt six ways from Sunday. For instance, I was supposed to go to yoga tonight (my last night of the beginner's series I've been taking all month) and then to the Justin Timberlake sing-a-long at The Alamo with a bunch of other cougars like myself. But what did I do instead? Came home and almost immediatley plugged in the laptop and started working. I broke to take a shower and put Geej to bed, but other than that, straight-up work. No yoga. No Justin. No energy and no fun whatsoever.

Here's why this evening devolved into a crapfest:
Today I drove myself and my team to a favorite restaurant on S. Lamar for my belated birthday lunch. About 500 yards before the entrance to the parking lot, my car suddenly felt like it had slammed into neutral and every light on the dashboard came on--including the "Service Engine Soon" light. Despite the fact that my car was, in fact, in "Drive," nothing happened when I pushed the accelerator--it was like it was not connected to the engine in any way. So I turned on my hazards and coasted into the parking lot and into a space. I turned the car off and crossed my fingers that if I let it "rest" while we ate lunch, that I would come out and everything would be fine. It wasn't. When I turned the key, the radio, lights, window, etc. all worked, but that was it. No engagement of the motor whatsoever. Just silence. So while my coworkers got on their cellphones and found a ride back to work, I got on mine and called Nissan Roadside Assistance. I just kept thanking my lucky stars that I'd had the sanity to purchase the extended warranty/service protection plan/roadside assistance package thing when I bought the car. Within about 45 mins., they had a tow truck there.
I then spent the longest 20 minutes of my life in the cab of the tow truck heading to the dealership. I got to listen to the tow dude tell me every possible function of his GPS system and what he and his girlfriend were going to be doing in San Antonio this weekend and about how much he hates grafitti and about how February's going to have a lot of Fridays in it and about how new cars are all "crap" and "tin cans" and that if he could he'd have a 70s muscle car with air brakes because they're the safest and how he doesn't believe in seatbelts. God, it was excruciating. Dropped the sick car at the dealership and then got a ride back to my house so I could get in BH's car (he was in Fredricksburg in his work truck) and get my ass back to work. So, basically, I had about 2 hours of my work day stolen from me by a seriously messed up car. (They called me this afternoon to say they have no idea what's wrong with it and are having to run "a lot of diagnostics" meaning that the labor alone on this thing is going to cost me an arm and a leg. Well, there goes my 1st quarter bonus I was so excited to learn about yesterday.)

I'm finally done with my work, and now I'm going to go collapse in the bed.

But before I go, here's a picture of me and The Geej at my birthday dinner last night:

3 comments:

Karla said...

Sorry I'm still laughing at the idea of you (thus me because I AM you) being a cougar.

Bummer about the car. Cougar.

hotpinksox said...

That sucks. I love the pic, you two are so beautiful.

amamgets said...

Aaaahhhhhhh, that is a seriously fine picture. :-D